1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius aftermarket audio

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Sheon, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Sheon

Sheon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Has anyone done aftermarket audio on the 2011 Prius

I just order a 2011 Prius I will take delivery on April 4th and the very first thing I will do is change the deck want to know if it's possible to do that

I got the very basic Prius 1 2011 grey model

I will add the pioneer avic Z130bt deck

I don't think the deck will be an issue but I also want to change the speakers do u know what size is in the doors? And is there a place for tweeters?

Also I would like to add an amp to the car I want to add a mcintosh amp for my mids and highs and maybe a 10 but this amp is power hungry would it affect the car at all?

When the car says ready u can't hear any engine noise at all is the battery still being charged?

I'm planning to do a sound quality setup in my new Prius and want to add some good bass to it too since it's a hatchback glass this car could slam for bass but I wonder if amp power draw would affect the gas millage

Thanks for ur time if anyone did any installs on there Prius 2011 pls post a pic

2. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1) From what I understand, the 2010 and 2011 are almost completely the same, except for badging, so any head unit that fits the 2010 should fit the 2011.
    2) I do everything I can to reduce electrical power draw, since yes, it will affect MPG since the engine has to replenish the battery more often.
    3) If you can't hear engine noise, the traction battery is not being recharged, however the 12 volt battery is, since the traction battery recharges it.

3. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's about a thousand threads answering your question(s) in the 'Audio and Electronics' forum .... check it out.

REV

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  5. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just be sure to look into that Pioneer unit really good. Not sure about this brand new model, but Pioneer has been good for having a ton of features just not all of them well executed. The Navigation on them in particular isn't much better than the factory stuff in recent years past. Do yourself a favor and at least look into Kenwood and their Excelon DNX-6960 or the DNX-9960 before you buy. The new 2011 units will be out anytime which are the DNX-6980 and the DNX-9980. Not a ton of really important feature changes other than controlling Pandora internet radio from your iPhone and HD radio built in so save yourself the money and go with the 2010 models if none of that type of stuff matters. They use Garmin NAV, Parrot bluetooth, have dual USB ports, 5V pre-outs just to name a few. When it comes to this type of stuff Kenwood is on top of things in my opinion. Everything from maps and firmware are updateable through a SD memory card slot. I will be doing the DNX-9980 this summer in my car as well as adding an Audison Bit-One processor to finish off my system.

6. Sheon

Sheon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I had the high end ken wood before ya that is a bad nice person navi deck with a ton of features but only thing in did nit like about the kenwood was that deck lags so bad have they fixed. The lag for this years models I might have to check them out

7. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ya, that was a complaint about the old ones. Supposedly from what I hear they are supposed to have fixed it a bit with a better GUI. Time will only tell. I just wish they'd hurry up and release them already. Were supposed to be out this month and according to their site they didn't really get affected by the quake as they are much further south. Hopefully soon.

8. javilesi

javilesi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a question about the comment how "navigation on them in particular isn't much better than the factory stuff." Aren't both equipments (Kenwood 9980 and the Pioneer 130bt) both powered by Garmin with Traffic radars? Is there something else in the background that would make one better than the other one?

Thanks

9. octomobiki

octomobiki New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm actually in the middle of doing a full car audio install (all myself), I have a video floating around of underneath the passenger seat with an efficient amp. Check my created topics and you will see it. If you want any pictures/video while I have the car open, now would definitely be the time to ask before its buttoned up.

10. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Pioneer is great *except* you cannot do Bluetooth calls - the sound is awful (to be nice). BT music streaming works great - just realize - this HU is useless for calls (avic411.com).

I have the Pioneer, wasn't a great fan of the Kenwood - if I could swap it (and I may in the coming months), I'd go with the more expensive Sony - it's been reviewed very well...

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If I were to choose between Pioneer and Kenwood I would go with the Kenwood eXcelon. They generally are set up for better sound quality with their 24bit DAC, high voltage low resistance preouts, better digital time alignment etc.. I admit I have not looked at the 2010-2011 models so Pioneer may have come out with a high sound quality unit so my opinion may be outdated. For what it's worth, I used an eXcelon head unit as the source for my system and my mids alone retailed at $1500. :)

[​IMG]

12. Sheon

Sheon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    I
    i might be looking into kenwood then i always been i pionner fan but ill have to check out the kenwood

13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You won't go wrong with the Kenwood. Just decide if you want the knob or the bigger screen. If you want Pandora and HD Radio, wait the newer.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  14. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are there any other options available for the bezel to make the unit look like factory standard rather than the typical after-market look?

Thanks,

Keith

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rosen might have a piece. I have not checked in awhile though.

Rosen Mobile Video Entertainment Systems

1 person likes this.
  16. luchinis

luchinis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rosen look very "factory" and its easy to install

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  17. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There are 3 "bezels" out there. Toyota, Metra and Scoshe (sp?). I believe all 3 are 100x200 I.D. The Toyota piece has the matching grain/color. The other 2 are semi-gloss flat/gray. The Rosen and the another Unit (Chinese?), fit without, but did not have the quality or options that I wanted. For me it is like building a computer. I start with the best CPU and go from there. I chose the Kenwood which is 100x180, and I believe most US DD's are. Filler piece was required and supplied with HU. It's all about what you want, and that was my choice. Hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  18. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I really like the factory look of the Rosen unit, but also like the experience and established reputation of Kenwood. Just bought the car Sunday and won't be in a position for a couple of months to upgrade the sound system and add integrated GPS...

Keith

19. Jeremy Harris

Jeremy Harris New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Toyota panels are 200 x 100, because they are made to take the Toyota TNS510 nav unit (which is wider than 2 DIN), the Metra and others are true 2 DIN, so 180 x 100.

The filler panels are only required if you fit a 2 DIN head unit using the Toyota panel; you don't need them if you use one of the aftermarket panels like the Metra.

Jeremy

1 person likes this.
  20. vulbas

vulbas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A