1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius Diagnostic Mode Info

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by WillC., Mar 30, 2018.

1. WillC.

WillC. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went into diagnostic mode after my check engine light came on and found A VN needs to be checked.

Does A VN mean audio, visual, navigation? What does the unit check mode code mean?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    doesn't seem like the right place. is your gas cap tight? how many miles on her?

Grit likes this.
  3. WillC.

WillC. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I apologize if I posted in the wrong place. The gas cap is on tight with 122k miles on the car.

A friend used an OBD2 scanner to figure out why the check engine light was on and there's a large leak in the EVAP system which isn't too pressing. Unfortunately you have to replace the whole system which runs about $400.

Would the evap system cause the AVN check light to come on as shown in the picture? The car was in an accident that caused considerable damage to the front and rear which has since been fixed. Maybe some wiring is loose concerning the GPS unit? I still have no idea what AVN and the following unit check code means.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This disappoints everybody (sorry!), but the diagnostic screen on the AVN is only diagnostics for the AVN and associated audio/video bits. It won't tell you what's up with your check engine light. Need a regular code scanner plugged into the DLC3 port under the dash for that.

If the AVN screen is showing you some codes for the fancy stuff, you can always pursue those later, once the engine is happy. The repair manual does explain what to do with all the stuff on those screens. But first things first....

-Chap