1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius Engine Misfiring - No Coolant Leakage in Oil

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by collincs1, Oct 14, 2022.

1. collincs1

collincs1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2011 Toyota Prius 4 Cylinders 1.8L MFI HEV DOHC 110 CID

Hi Prius Community,

Recently after filling up with gas, I drove to work and back, a 40minute trip in total. Upon arriving at home, my engine started to rumble. I could just pull into my driveway. Now, every time I start the car and give it some gas to turn on the engine, it starts misfiring left and right.

I have an at home OBD2 Scanner and got these specific codes:

P0300- Random Cylinder Misfire

P0302- Cylinder 2 Misfire

P0304- Cylinder 4 Misfire

P0108- Can’t Measure Airflow

P0107- Can’t Measure Airflow

P0113- Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input

P0102- Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input

After checking my oil several times, I still hadn’t seen any trace of coolant. For reference, my oil had just been changed, as I change the oil quite regularly since I drive my car a lot.

As of right now, I have removed and cleaned the MAP & MAF sensors, and reinstalled them with a bit of improvement. Now the car with run like normal for a moment, then start misfiring again sporadically.

At this point, I’d like to mark blown head gasket off my list of possible issues, but anything could be possible.

This is a link to a video of the engine as it shakes so you can see exactly what I’m talking about. From examining the engine mounting brackets they also seem intact

Does anyone have any advice on how they might start troubleshooting my vehicle?

also the OBD2 Scanner spit out this freeze frame of data that may be useful if you know what it means, as I do not.

Freeze Frame Data When Thrown

• Intake manifold absolute pressure: 0 kPa
    • Engine RPM: 0.0 rpm
    • Vehicle speed: 0.0 mph
    • Timing advance: 5.0 degrees
    • Intake air temperature: 84.2 F
    • Oxygen Sensor 2 Voltage: 0.0 V
    • Commanded EGR: 0.0 %
    • Oxygen Sensor 1 Current: 0.0 mA
    • Catalyst Temperature: Bank 1, Sensor 1: 388.4 F
    • Commanded throttle actuator: 16.86 %
    • Time since trouble codes cleared: 0 min

#1 collincs1, Oct 14, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2022
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many miles?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    All you need to do is remove the spark plugs from your engine I know it seems like a bit of work but just takes a few minutes Make sure you keep the spark plugs with the cylinders that came out of and look at them under a bright light a very bright light and smell them take your finger and touch your finger to the tip of the spark plug and touch it to your tongue do you taste coolant smell coolant see little tiny droplets That's coolant that's what's causing your misfire Note what cylinders you see this in by the plugs you find it on should be one and two or two and three mostly You've now found your problem realize the open deck engines of this type are very weak design if you're going to start machining and working on and rebuilding may be best to find a bottom end but that will be extremely expensive in the United States more than the car is worth almost you will have to do your own research and digging I went with an import engine from Japan that had been touched by people in the States for good reason I also went ahead and got the transmission too so both pieces going in the vehicle are similar aged and mileage not the 290 that I have on my chassis

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What about the minutes it take to remove the wiper cowel, wipers and coils before you remove the plugs?

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    About 28 min . I do in between momma marinating steaks and mashing potato.. generally wen this is going on it's gonna be staying apart a good minute . Last time they were off 4 months . My RainX is always up to date . Cannot remember last time wipers swiped my glass. No lines on glass to tell . I almost never use . And if I lived in california maybe never. Never rains n all that ..

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bad gas

Tombukt2 likes this.
  7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I can't see the video but if it has occasionally rattled severely at startup in the past and cleared after seconds, it is likely a head gasket. If the misfires continue for the entire drive, it is more likely a bad coil, plug or injector.

Head gasket issues in a gen3:

I am afraid the head gasket issue is common in the 2010-14 1.8L Prius engines. Disregard the advice to clean egrs, change coil packs, plugs, etc. The pattern of many 1.8L head gasket failures is in these threads and has been reported fifty times in this forum.

Starts out with a very occasional rattle, sometimes weeks apart. No observable coolant loss or white smoke. Egr system is cleaned with much effort and the immediate results are good. A few days later the rattles return. Plugs, intakes and coils with identical results. A few days grace each time only to be disappointed.

A coolant hydrocarbon check or leakdown test will be negative in the early stages. Later when its rattling every other day and coolant is down by an inch, the hydrocarbon test "might" be positive. A borescope test is usually definitive by then. At end stages with rattling at stop signs, white smoke (observable in the rear while revving), all leakdown or hydrocarbon tests are positive. Rarely will coolant be in the oil.

Initially hg leaks are slight, very occasional and don't present like traditional head gasket failures. Sometimes early teardowns don't have a physical break in the gasket but coolant leaks to the cylinder under the gasket. Apparently caused by minimal warping that is quickly sealed as the cylinder heats up. Uneven cylinder cooling design is a contributor. On occasion, a loosened head bolt achieves the same thing, typically after a repair. Worse case, a rod bends and eventually breaks.

Overall a flawed design that often points to the 2010-14 piston ring flaws which then aggravates a poor egr design. All redesigned by gen4 with the gen3 rings improved by mid 2014. Gen4 also significantly redesigned cylinder coolant passages and added an insulator.

Typical head gasket shake and rattle that quickly clears up

#7 rjparker, Oct 15, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Probably just need new plugs and EGR cleaning, as long you don't have any coolant loss in the reservoir..

Bought one at the dealership with 253K miles on it with miss firing code of p3001, p3004..
    And all it took for it was plugs, and EGR cleaning..

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With that, plugs will take half hour to get to

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Takes longer putting it back together I've found, especially the window trim bits.

Grit likes this.
  11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    About an hour to for plugs would be the ball park estimate.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. collincs1

collincs1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It has just over 180,000. I'm sorry I didn't mention that in the original post.

Mendel Leisk likes this.