1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius HID Relay Issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by bens1088, Sep 5, 2011.

1. bens1088

bens1088 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have read almost every thread on priuschat and I cannot seem to figure out how to install the HID relay on a 2011. The fusebox is different from the 2010 to 2011 model and that little cover that has the white wire (coming from what I believe is the battery) does not provide useable power?

Has anyone with a 2011 successfully installed an HID relay via the fuse box without splicing/tapping?

Thanks

2. unreal

unreal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Y do you need a relay? I just installed an HID on my 2011 and I didn't need to tap on anything..

3. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What wattage is your HID kit? If 55 Watt you won't need a relay. Are all your high amperage fuse spaces taken up? in my 2010 I have a couple of spare spaces with a blade sticking up that I could connect a relay wire to. You have to make sure you ground your relay.

4. bens1088

bens1088 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I need a relay because the HID's are flickering. That's a sign that the ballast isn't getting enough power and can/will shorten the life of your bulbs/ballasts. Already blew out one ballast.

Plus we are switching to OEM ballasts which are extremely reliable, expensive, and sensitive. They will cut out of they aren't receiving enough power to prevent damage to themselves.

How do you know the fuse ratings on the blank spots? Theres black spaces but no amperage ratings on the fuse guide.

5. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

6. bens1088

bens1088 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hmm... Okay. I will take a look. I don't have the car with me right now but can any one who has a 2011 verify there are any open slots?

Thanks for all your help!

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish I could help but my Genii is set up differently. Good idea using the relay. I always recommend using them on aftermarket HIDs.

8. unreal

unreal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Theres actually 2 spots, the other spot I used for my foglights and that leaves me with one left on my 2011...

9. bens1088

bens1088 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    it flickers even with the relay installed... what is going on... ive tested 4 different hid kits...

10. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi bens1088,
    I'm no expert. Have you tried a canbus ballast? I.e. a ballast that is specifically set up for operating with the canbus. Then you wouldn't need a relay. There are also canbus decoder modules whuch can be put in line with your original HID ballast ( point-blank.com.au ). I know Phillips produce canbus ballasts for 35 watt.

11. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you have tried that many kits there maybe something you are doing wrong installing them.. different bulbs everytime? It can be the bulb that is making it flicker? Different ballasts everytime? Are both flickering? Or only one side? I have installed ALOT of kits (I used to sell them) and always found that flickering bulbs are caused by the ballast.. not a power draw issue... do your regular bulbs flicker? Are your connections all in? Are you using te same brand of kit? too many variables to figure out what is wrong.

12. gust242

gust242 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello
    All is there a easy way to get to the passenger side head light ? looking at the head light housing there's 3 bolts that I can see I'm hoping that if I remove them the hole thing will come off and make it easy as I am debating on a relay just to be safe thinking of the ddm tuning kit at 6000k on my 2011 3 any feed back ?

13. Koocuz

Koocuz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I could use some advice as well, I have a set of 5000K Apexcone HID's (very exited!) and I am torn, I understand why you would want a relay system (Protect OEM wire harness in case of extreme ballast failure, and Canbus, Other Circuitry?).

Here is the thing though, the Halogens are not exactly "easy on power" and the factory harness should handle 35W HID's no problem. I am thinking instead of relays I will install a 10A fuse on each light just before the ballast. That way if it even thinks about surging or frying the fuse should pop.

Thoughts, Comments? Overkill? Just install them already? :)

Does anyone know if the power is a direct path to battery? Would a crappy/failing ballast possibly damage any prius systems/computers if not on a separate power line?

Lastly if a relay is used will the lights work normally without "fake resistance", I am hoping the prius is not that smart. Canbus can be a serious pain on german cars...

Thanks

14. Koocuz

Koocuz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bump Anyone?

15. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wired mine without a relay and without any fuses.. I've had mine on this Prius for close to 6 months.. I had my hids on my old Prius with the same setup for almost 2 years and no issues.. I think u will be fine..

16. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you already have a relay it won't hurt to use it.

17. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had my HID's for over 6 months now- 35 watt ballasts.
    No relay- no problems. You're still using the factory harness- which is fused- to power the ballasts, so if the ballasts go bad and draw too much- the oem fuse will blow as it's designed to do.
    IIRC- the 35 watt ballasts draw less current than the OEM halogen bulbs anyway.

18. U2NVME64

U2NVME64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2013 Prius and purchased the Morimoto HID kit. It came with a relay and new projectors. I want use the relay just to be on the safe side, no one appears to know how to hook up to the battery for power. Any help would be cool..