1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius III JBL/Bluetooth Head Unit replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Sarcilla, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Sarcilla

Sarcilla New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm interested in upgrading my head unit if it makes sense to do so. I would hate to lose steering wheel controls of bluetooth and volume control. Are there any units that would maintain use of those steering wheel controls via an appropriate adapter?

Also, has anyone replaced their head unit to get the following and can recommend?

• Navigation with traffic-based rerouting/suggestings
    • Bluetooth streaming
    • Bluetooth hands-free
    • Backup camera
    • Additional video feeds, overwriteable so that one can use it while driving
    • iPhone and/or Android phone app access via screen
    One of my concerns is how the JBL speakers are hooked up. Are there 4, 6, or 8 speaker outputs from it? If more than 4 I would assume I would want to install an amplifier separately to drive the speakers above 4 assuming I didn't get a unit that could handle the speakers hooked up in parallel.

I'll also be considering installing a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 as a replacement as that would give me mouse control over the unit which I might be able to control similar to the Audi and BMW systems - always keeping one's hand down at the console rather than having to use the high touchscreen while driving.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

2. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I thought I already replied. You want traffic. That eliminates all the OEM look units. Kenwood, Pioneer and JVC offer units which have the features you're looking for. You'll need to buy a steering wheel control adapter (Metra ASWC).

3. Sarcilla

Sarcilla New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm glad to know there are some out there, but do you know if they can maintain my ability to use the steering wheel bluetooth controls or will I lose those (but not the volume buttons if I get the Metra ASWC)?

Also, does anyone know if the JBL setup uses more than 4 speaker leads or if I will need to get a separate amp to drive some of the speakers?

4. prius2010II

prius2010II Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Your steering wheel BT controls will work. Not every HU supports push to talk (PTT). At a minimum you'll be able to answer a call and hang up.

You'll need to get an external JBL "turn on" adapter. You'll be using your existing JBL amp and speakers.

5. sklarskyj

sklarskyj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sarcilla, what did you end up doing? I'm looking at buying a 2010 Prius III with JBL/bluetooth but no nav and would like to add some kind of screen if we end up purchasing it. I'd be very interested in seeing what you found since I'd pretty much be looking for the same thing!

6. Ryan Case

Ryan Case Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My wife and I just picked up a 5 trim 2011, I plan on making a parts list.

If anyone knows what harness to use for jbl systems (if different ) , I would appreciate it.

Update:

Assume that folks use either the "PAC TATO" or the METRA TTYT01? . With these do you need anything else?