1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius III w/o Nav Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Duke of Prunes, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Duke of Prunes

Duke of Prunes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I have some questions about the capabilities of the audio system in the 2011 Prius III Without Navigation, and functionality with the iPhone 4.

1. Can you pair an iPhone 4 to the system using bluetooth? Can you pair more than one phone?
    2. Can you also connect the phone to USB?
    3. Can you play music stored on the phone through the bluetooth or the USB?
    4. Can you dial contacts stored on the phone using voice commands?
    5. Can you stream Pandora or other iPhone music apps through the bluetooth or USB?
    6. Can you use navigation app such as Garmin or Tom Tom and hear the directions over the car's audio system? Can you do this and play music at the same time?

I guess thats about it.

Many thanks :)

2. Bulle

Bulle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    1. Yes. Yes.
    2. No
    3. No
    4. Yes
    5. No
    6. No.

3. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    you can plug it into the aux jack for sound - Pandora et al...

4. DrScooter

DrScooter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sure to most of the stuff, I use my Droid phone, and have tried several BlueTooth set ups. In general I have a simple wireless stick on the visor unit, about $35. I like it because it is always on, tells me the battery level and automatically syncs to my phone. This one only syncs to one phone but some will sync to two. When calls come in it's a simple one touch and talk.

Now, I have a much fancier unit that works with BlueTooth then "it" is plugged into the Auxillary so I can use my (included) GPS or music and the phone. Prior, I had one unit that plugged into the power socket and then used "FM" and tuned in per radio, however, using the front power socket it was a tad too far from the antenna and had "some" interference, not much really but it annoyed me.

I use this system (plug-in not FM) usually only for trips just because it has a little bit of set-up (like 30 whole seconds) but the sound is better but it is seamless with GPS or music. Still the visor unit is just a no brainer, as that is a perfect discription of me that is what I use on a day to day basis. I just get in the car and the visor unit tells me battery level and sync to my phone with no effort or action on my part. Then I just listen to normal radio or CD but I do have to mute the sound when a call comes in. I like my CD as I set it up with MP3 songs and one disc holds like 6 hours of tunes. :cool:

Right off hand I can't think of the brand names of the two units but I can check that out.

5. quickdrawgc

quickdrawgc New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So is there really any difference (from user experience) in a Prius III 2011 versus a Prius II 2011 assuming you are using an iPhone (4S) as a music device? I was really hoping that by going to the III (w/out Nav though) w/bluetooth over the II I could get good hands free on the phone. I know you need the Nav to get the usb port. I drive a lot of miles every day and its really not feasible to fiddle with my phone all the time to either manage an audiobook or pandora.