1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius IV - Motor Vibrates When Starting Car Or Reversing, But Otherwise Works Fine. How I Fix?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PriusChatFan2018, Dec 6, 2018.

1. PriusChatFan2018

PriusChatFan2018 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2011 Prius IV - Motor Vibrates When Starting Car Or Reversing, But Otherwise Works Fine. The car has been doing this for several years, but really started vibrating/rumbling a lot more recently to where it was vibrating also while driving. I went and replaced the coils, spark plugs, and injector. The car is working better and now no longer vibrates while driving, but still rumbles/vibrates a bit when starting the car or going into reverse. What would be the next step towards eliminating this vibration altogether.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

how many miles on her?

have you cleaned the egr circuit?

PriusChatFan2018 likes this.
  3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    +1 on EGR. Also, the ICE is not involved in Reverse--it's completely electric, so the ICE is simply idling while warming up, same as when initially starting from cold. Are you careful not to power down while the ICE is still warming up on initial start? This is believed to contribute to a rumbling engine on cold starts. Do you ever start the car, ICE comes on, you move it a little bit and shut down while ICE is still running in initial warmup mode? That's considered bad for Prius.

PriusChatFan2018 likes this.
  4. PriusChatFan2018

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks bisco and FuelMiser for your replies. After speaking to a dealer, I'm going to likely find another used Prius. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

bisco likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Where you talking to service or sales? If service: maybe water under the bridge if you're selling but still I'm curious if they had any ideas what was the cause of the vibration.

To echo @bisco: how many miles on it?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. PriusChatFan2018

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It has about 300k miles on it. I use the car for deliveries. The apartment I spoke to was the Toyota service department at a local dealer. They said the engine had a leak, and might have to be replaced. It is still drivable, though, despite the vibrations, but I'm going to various dealerships to find a new one. As for the cause, a fellow Prius owner who works with me believes it's a valve issue, but I'm not sure which valve could be causing it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.