1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius Noise after a complete stop

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dr_DLH, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Dr_DLH

Dr_DLH Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have had this for a year now. When I first heard it, I thought someone threw something at my vehicle. I would stop then be at the light then about a few seconds to a minute it sounds like a solenoid kicks out or kicks in... its pretty loud, my passengers even question it. I have taken it to the dealership 7 times now and I am getting frustrated as they do not hear anything each time. As I drive with them it doesnt do it... it seems it does it sporatically... Sometimes it does it after I have exited the vehicle and walking off, it goes through its normal electrical noises then clunk clunk... Strange. I have recorded a sound clip but they said they still have to hear it themselves and they believe it has something to do with the elecrical breaking system but they dont want to swap it out as its an expensive part as they want to make sure of it first... I think I am going to take it to another dealer.. I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you are referring to the brake actuator pump noise, it's normal. You can duplicate that noise by just pressing the brake 2 times while in park. Every 2nd time you press the brake, the pump will come on to build up pressure.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even though you say you've failed at being able to duplicate the sound at the dealership, it sounds like it happening with enough frequency that you should be able to get it to happen for a tech.

I don't know, you could try a different service department, but nearly any or all of them I think would want to witness or have some evidence of the problem before proceeding with work. So the key I think is to get it documented...you've taken it in 7 times so it's on record, now you need to get it witnessed by a qualified tech. This sacrifice here might be continuing to try to get it happen with a tech present.

With repeated and numerous threads where owners complain of different sounds from the Prius, I'm convinced that (not always) but often it's just varying degrees of precision and adjustment with various parts, in relationship to individual owners expectations and attention.
    I hear my brake actuator initialize, but it's more of a whirring sound for just a few seconds, not really a "clunk" associated with it.

I would think that even if currently working right, if it's a clunk loud enough to disturb you, and even passengers? It's probably indicative of something more out of adjustment or on the verge of failure than something acting "normal". My brakes don't clunk.

Maybe a different dealer would be more willing to jump into work, or more familiar with your symptoms? But I don't think it's unreasonable of any service department to want the problem to be witnessable before doing expensive work. From their POV if they have never heard the sounds and the Brakes are working to specs, then they are just guessing. As frustrating as this situation is, what would be more frustrating and regrettable would be if they were to replace components wholesale and the sound remained.

Have they done anything besides a ride along? In other words take your Prius in the shop? I would think they could/should be able to run your brakes through a diagnostic process that should be able to replicate whatever is manifesting that sound.

4. Dr_DLH

Dr_DLH Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Each time I had taken it in they did keep it even after the tech drove with me.. That is what they called it the Brake Actuator. But yes it started a couple years after purchase and still do hear the whirring sound most of the time but yes it hits pretty hard on the floor board like a rubber ball hit the vehicle. I will take it in again... I tried to upload the sound but it wouldnt allow me so hopefully this link to my dropbox will work.
    https://db.tt/vdXNh6pm

5. Dr_DLH

Dr_DLH Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To cause it to clunk like that is normal? I only started hearing it two years after I purchased it...

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think so. 11 years an 3 pri, i've never heard a sound like that. play it for the dealer. all the best.(y)

7. Dr_DLH

Dr_DLH Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did, they say it sounds like the actuator but they need to hear it.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I actually get a clunking sound on my 2010 when I back up and then brake. I think it's normal as it's already had a brake recall and I don't notice it any other time.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what do you mean 'they need to hear it', i can hear it on your audio.