1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius Pre FL, Non JBL 8 Speaker HU Swap, Sound problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dingmel, Nov 20, 2019.

1. dingmel

dingmel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Five
    Hey there guys.

Recently did a swap for an android HU from a stock preFL 8 speaker non JBL HU.
    Am having an issue where there is no output at the front door 6x9's, but the dash squawkers work fine, matter of fact, they're even louder with the replacement HU compared to the original HU.

No splicing was done, everything was connected via a factory harness.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

TheeWood likes this.
  2. benc348

benc348 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the exact same problem after swapping the HU with an android one. So just in case you still haven't solved it yet or maybe if someone else has the same problem...here's the solution!

So with an 8 speaker non-JBL system you will most likely have a small amplifier under the seat that powers only the front door speakers! This amp needs a remote signal from the HU otherwise it won't turn on and the front door speakers won't work. I always thought only JBL audio systems have an extra amp.

In my case, the REM wire was the thick white wire in the 10-pin Toyota plug. I connected the AMP-ON wire (or whatever its called) from the android HU to this REM wire and the front door speakers were alive again!

TheeWood, SFO, gregrapt and 1 other person like this.
  3. dingmel

dingmel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Five

Wow, Thanks! I thought I was the only one :D
    Will try that out right away!

Thanks for replying!

4. gregrapt

gregrapt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello. Would you mind telling me what Android unit you use, and if you are happy so far? Thank you in advance

TheeWood likes this.