1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius Rattle during Test Drive

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by gultin, Oct 21, 2011.

1. gultin

gultin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I test drove a brand new 2011 Prius 4 (40 miles on it) and there was a pretty loud rattle (metallic sounding) that came from driver-side dash.

Salesman had their tech look at it the next day and apparently they found a loose bolt in the "kick panel" (not sure what means). They claim they've removed it and now there is no rattle. Salesman also claims the bolt did not belong anywhere on the car.

I'm apprehensive going ahead with this particular car, because I definitely don't want to hear any rattles soon after purchasing a brand new car.

Has anyone come across this situation before? Are rattles common on the Prius? Also what is the warranty policy regarding rattles? Do I need to pay out of pocket to repair any future rattles?

BTW, salesman claimed there is a "rattle warranty" of 3yrs/36K miles. Is that really true?

Thanks in advance!

2. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Rattle Reputation: YES

Rattle Warranty: No idea but I'd like to know, too.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, people have experienced rattles but not from loose bolts which did not belong in the car.

Speaking for myself, mine has minor rattles from the dash area or where the cupholder is below the shifter. I only hear them though if the radio is off which is not often (nearly never) and when it is cold out (winter around here) as the heat making the plastics expand makes the rattles go away.

Can I live with them? Sure can. And for 2012 they have added more padding and done other things to fix the rattles people have been hearing in the 2010/11.

4. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We bought ours during January in Ohio, and rattles first appeared during hot Ohio summer. Go figure.

5. gultin

gultin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks a lot guys. At least now I know what to expect ;-). However this is making me want to wait for the 2012 model. However, I need to buy before the end of this year, due to tax reasons. Hoping the 2012 Prius (regular) will arrive before then.