1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius stutters and worse in the rain. Help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by JD Tibbett, Nov 6, 2017.

1. JD Tibbett

JD Tibbett New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My 2011 Prius will start to stutter and shake when I have the pedal depressed just past halfway. It is way worse when it rains. Speed has no bearing on the issue. I added fuel treatment and premium fuel hoping that it was just bad gas but that did nothing. It has approx. 148k miles. No check engine lights or loss of fuel economy.

2. winglik

winglik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Check oil level and see any oil burning issue. From my experience, if the engine is not smooth, and there is no check engine light, mostly i will check the oil level and see if it normal or it's dirt or not. Also check other maintenance item, like air filter. I always change my oil on time. but I forgot to change my air filter. I just replace a new one over the weekend, the car is so much smoother and better MPG.

#2 winglik, Nov 6, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

At 148 k miles:

• Have you done any preventative maintenance (PCV valve, egr circuit cleaning, intake manifold, etc)?
    • How long had the shuttering phenomenon been occurring?
    • Any oil consumption?
    Keep us posted (y).

4. PosauneGuy

PosauneGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are threads here regarding stuttering and shaking when it's cold and damp out. I've had this issue on my 2011 (at 70,000 miles) and took it in to the dealer. Even though the engine light did not turn on, there was a code that registered (P0301 - misfiring cylinder 1). Dealer said the intake manifold needed to be replaced. Replaced it, but the problem did not go away. Dealer then said it was likely EGR (see this thread: warranty enhancement; P0401 EGR Valve | PriusChat). They replaced the EGR under this enhanced warranty. This was done just as the weather was warming up, so I don't know if it solved the problem or not. Now that we're getting into the cold and damp weather, we'll see if it fixed the problem. You might also read this thread: NEW!!! Service Bulletin for Engine Knocking at Startup T-SB 0012-10 | PriusChat

Robert Holt and JD Tibbett like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder: did they replace the EGR valve and the EGR cooler, or just the valve? The're part numbers 3 (valve) and 7 (cooler) here:

EGR System for 2015 Toyota Prius | Toyota Parts

Robert Holt likes this.
  6. JD Tibbett

JD Tibbett New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just had the oil changed prior to this issue

7. JD Tibbett

JD Tibbett New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Haven’t done the maintenance. Will look into it

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how is the oil level?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Kurzweil

Kurzweil Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Aren't we skipping something cheap and obvious? Spark plugs. That and moisture in the plug tubes. I've replaced plugs twice and dried out ignitors twice (remove, wipe off, wait, reinstall) to clear a miss (which is also a stutter) in the 150K I've put on my 2004 - now at 342K. This is one of the EXTREMELY FEW faults I've experienced with this '04, the most trouble free car I've ever owned. If moisture is an issue, the bottom of the ignitor will be visibly wet. Simply throwing a $20 set of plugs at it is not excessive if they have 80K miles on them.

On the other hand, this will usually throw a P0300 (or P030x where x is the cylinder with the miss) code. If you can drive over five minutes with the miss and DO NOT get a check engine light, I may all wet. As it were.

10. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IMO, the misfire getting worse in rainy conditions strongly implies water infiltration into either the low or high voltage parts of the spark plug circuit. I would check the feed wires for cracking that would allow water to temporarily short out the circuit as well as the igniters and the seals around them. If you find water/moisture, either replace or dry out that component , and then consider how to ensure that the water-proofing of that component works more effectively .

Raytheeagle likes this.