1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius: Uhaul hitch - Under body panel removed without warning

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by zolies, Sep 30, 2011.

1. zolies

zolies New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I made an appointment at the local U-haul shop to purchase and install a receiver hitch on my newly-bought 2011 Prius III.

Before committing, I asked whether they'd need to permanently modify anything. I asked on two occasions, once on the phone, and again in person. For example, would the aerodynamic underbody panel be affected? The representative said, "no, nothing for you to worry about, no modification is necessary."

So, I went ahead and let them do the installation. It took about 30 minutes, and the total cost was roughly US $185. When I was called back to pick up my Prius, he asked if I wanted him to throw away some left over stuff :)eek: WHAT ?!). He shrugged, and held up the entire aerodynamic under panel, and told me that he had to remove it.

I am very disappointed, and I feel as though I was mislead. :confused: I expressed concern that the absence of this relatively large aerodynamic panel (with its two aerodynamic fins) would likely affect the fuel efficiency. However, I didn't want to let him do more damage, as it seemed clear that he didn't comprehend the potential effect of such details. At least nothing seemed broken so far (e.g., panel, and plastic attachment fasteners). At worst, I figure I can reverse his work on my own, if necessary.

So, I have three questions for those of you who may have some experience:

1) Are the consequences of removing the large rear aerodynamic under body panel (~36" x 24") known and understood?

2) Have any of you found a hitch brand/design that accommodates the panel, either with, or without cutting/trimming, etc.?

3) Would I be justified in returning and asking them to reverse their work (i.e., uninstall hitch, reinstall panel, and refund)? Particularly, considering that I clearly asked twice whether any modification would be required to accommodate their hitch, and they assured me that no modification was necessary.

Thanks for the feedback you can provide. :redface: I'm new to the forum, but I did spend some time searching the hitch-related threads prior to choosing the U-haul service.

2. essaunders

essaunders Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would expect trimming the aero panel wold be necessary. It was on my 07.

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I would make them take it back. The Curt hitch and every other hitch I know of do not require the permanent removal or trimming of the under panel. When I had my curt hitch put on, they wound up removing the under panel temporarily, because they lost one of the bolts up in it. On top of the oddball uhaul design, the uhaul hitch was more than twice what the other hitch manufacturers charge.

4. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

I remember reading a post here from another member that completely removed "all" the under body cladding, front to back, not just one section, and noted no difference in gas mileage. I suspect you'll be OK.

In my experience, U-haul personnel are not always the brightest bulbs in the mechanic world. In their eyes, they didn't modify existing parts because they removed it. :rolleyes: I really would not expect "them" to see or care about the significance of that. They sold their hitch and that's what counted to them.

PS, welcome to PRIUSchat!

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Generally hitch installations on the Prius require some trimming of the under body panel. I had to do this with my Gen II Curt Hitch. I can't say whether it is necessary for the Gen III.

You certainly don't need to discard the entire panel, nor is it desirable to do so. That panel is there for aerodynamic reasons - it certainly wasn't installed for looks.

Leaving it off won't kill your mileage, but it won't help it either. Uhaul should reinstall it for you.

Tom

6. inseek

inseek Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    +1

As far as I know Curt hitch 11-469 does not require any modifications or removal on Gen III:

http://www.capandhitch.com/CURT/11469/installsheet/CM_11469_INS.PDF

Look at this thread:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...eleased-ordering-2010-prius-2.html#post915653

7. jbpersmail

jbpersmail Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    regardless of if the removing of panels affects the MPG, i would be pissed if that happened to my car. even if the panel don't contribute to the 50 mpg rating, they must be there for a reason.

anyways, i researched and purchased from amazon and installed myself a curt part # 11469. more info can be found here Curt Trailer Hitch for Toyota Prius 2011 - 11469

as you seen on the video, no panel is removed. the only modification to ur car after the installation was the added weight of the hitch, and that the exhaust pipe was lowered by about 1/4 of an inch. just google "prius 11469" and u will c lots of info about it.

make sure u don't buy 11468, that is for gen 2. 11469 is designed for the gen 3 prius.

1 person likes this.
  8. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Gee.
    You are complaining about something that the Toyota manual specifically says is verboten.:nono:
    ... and you had it done at U-Haul, which typically employs brain-donars.:smash:

You do not get any sympathy from me.

9. zolies

zolies New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Howdy- This is an awesome number of replies in such a short time- thanks! ;) This is an active forum, and I'm glad to have found it.

I'll review the links you've all posted before going back to U-haul. But, I am skeptical about asking them to reinstall the panel. The little fasteners appear to be somewhat more sophisticated than a conventional threaded fastener. At this point they are losing time and money, and I'd speculate that the same mindless approach will be used in reverse: I.e., 'Hmm...it doesn't quite lock in place...but it might stay on anyway, should be fine...just get it out of the shop...'

One lesson I relearned is that one tolerates vague statements at one's own peril. For example, when he said "...no need to modify anything, you'll be fine...", I should have sought further clarification. It would have been prudent for me to list all of the actions which I'd consider to mean modification: Cutting, trimming, grinding, omitting certain fasteners due to inaccessibility, removing, bending, forcing, etc.

And, yes, I wholly agree that the aerodynamic underbody panel is there for a reason, and I'd be surprised if it didn't affect efficiency, stability, or other, at some speed or driving condition; the Prius doesn't come across as a gimmicky vehicle.

It seems like most signs point to Curt.

10. Hokeysmoke

Hokeysmoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have the Curt Hitch. No mods required, although you do need to remove the tie down hook.

11. zolies

zolies New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Teakwood- Yes, I realize that it is not advised by Toyota. However, my use of a hitch receiver would be limited to a light bike rack designed to carry two sub-30 lbs bikes. I would be hesitant to do this, if it weren't for the specific application/modification- I'm a structures designer ad analyst, so I feel as though it's within my realm of familiarity. If we were talking battery modifications...I'd be content with 'stock'. :usa2:

On the subject of verboten...I had quite a time trying to get a straight answer from dealerships regarding whether their service department would be willing to install a hitch, and whether it would void any of the warranties. The best responses were:

1) "110%, no problem, we've done it many times." Details: It was late on a Sunday, so I said I'd like to receive confirmation, from his store's service writer, the next morning, before buying the car. The salesman sheepishly called me, himself, the next day and admitted that they'd never done it before, and that they wouldn't do it.

2) "Oh yeah, that's so common, I'll give you the number for the tech who does it." Details: It turns out the 'tech' is an independent, not a member of the staff at the dealership. Of course, the whole point of asking the dealer to do it is peace of mind that it didn't blatantly compromise a warranty. It blows me away how people omit the critical detail, and hope you don't catch on. It's like when your kid breaks a neighbor's window..."Dad, our neighbor wants us to pay for his window that broke." Did you break it? "Yes." Then, SAY our neighbor wants us to pay for his window, which I broke. Jeez.

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd guess, and admittedly it would be a guess, but my thoughts would be adding a hitch to use to transport attached bicycles would be Okay. I think Toyota discourages hitches, to discourage direct pull towing. Don't wish to get into a debate with those that have used their Prius to do pull towing, but I do believe Toyota doesn't recommend using the Prius for towing.

But an added hitch in which you are using it to simply attach a bicycle? That's not much more than simply adding weight over the cargo area. I'd have to think you'd be okay. At least I'd hope so, because a hitch and a bicycle rack would be something I'd want.

I think there is a slight but significant difference between using a hitch to potentially pull or tow an object or weight, and using a hitch to directly attach an item like a bicycle, which seems little more than just adding some weight just outside the cargo area of The Prius.

One I would be hesitant to do, the other I would think would be no problem.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A couple of thoughts:

1. As previously mentioned: a tow hitch on Prius is explicitly not allowed, as outlined in the owners manual.

2. Regarding the install of the hitch: would you rather he chopped up the panel to install the hitch? I think completely removing it, intact, is the best approach: replacement panels don't come cheap.

14. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are two hitches available for the Prius. Both are bolt on and do not require trimming. I know for the "Quality S", they did pull off the muffler hanger for more ease in the install - but I don't think you even need to do that (it's then put back on).

The Curt is 1.25" Class I

The Quality S is 2" Class III

Both cost about the same, and attach similarly. I prefer Class III because it gives me more options (yes - there are adapters - but I'd rather go with something more durable) - who knows - maybe I'll need to pull a 5,000 lbs boat someday...;)

:fish2::fish2::fish2:

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1. Mounting a tow hitch is not prohibited. Only towing is prohibited, not the hitch.

2. Only the Gen II Prius requires slight cutting of the under panel to mount a Curt hitch. The modified panel is still effective if the hitch is removed, and retaining the panel improves aerodynamics.

Tom

16. zolies

zolies New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I returned to the U-haul shop, and the fellow wore that 'I knew I'd be seeing you again' look on his face.

He agreed to remove the hitch without any hassle, only stating that he had not done any modification, as promised. I pointed out that the mere act of installing the hitch modified the vehicle. I told him that I was glad that he'd removed, rather than damaged or cut, the panel. However, I informed him that I considered the removal of an aerodynamic panel to be a clear modification of the vehicle. He conceded.

I gave him the opportunity to attempt to see whether the hitch might actually accommodate the panel. But, he said it would not, and that his instruction sheet states that the panel should not be retained. He issued a full refund.

Finally, I decided to avoid the risk of him damaging the little fasteners when reinstalling the panel. I figured I'd give it a try, myself.

To his credit, he asked if I'd send him an email with information about the Curt hitch that is designed for the G3 Prius.

On to the next place: A local Curt distributor/installer. They made an appointment for me, and I came in. After getting the car in the bay, and completing all sorts of paperwork (including popping the hood to take down engine information :rolleyes:), he determined that his stock numbers had been shuffled, and that he did not have the G3 Prius version of the Curt hitch in stock.

At this point, I'm likely just going to order the Curt hitch, and do a self-install. It's what I should have done in the first place, being an engineer and being mechanically inclined. Originally, it was a matter of not yet owning a torque wrench, and the promise of saving some time during a busy work week. :rolleyes:

Lesson learned.

One additional thought: The presence of the hitch's tube and receiver will likely disrupt the underbody airstream, despite the presence/absence of the aerodynamic underbody panel. In the end, I wouldn't know what is better: Hitch+panel, or hitch w/o panel. But, they're both likely worse than just the stock panel. :D

Parting data: Achieved 61.3 mpg average on a 50 mile trip that was 5 miles city, and 45 miles freeway (405 in Los Angeles, weekend) driving between 60-65 mph. Pretty darn nice, considering the car isn't more than 5 days worth of being broken in, and that I lack the underbody panel, and that I haven't taken any hypermiling actions like increasing tire pressure. Life with Prius is looking pretty bright. :)

17. Blitzen

Blitzen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I researched the Hitch issue thouroughly and the "quality S" is not only currently unavailble but, if you look at the instructions that come with it, it clearly states a Class I weight rating of 200/2000. So don't believe the advertised class III hype.
    The Class I 2" "stealth" EcoHitch from Torklift is the way to go if you don't mind trimming some sheet metal underneath and spending maybe 100+ bucks more than cheaper/ less aerodynamic but more visible options.

18. 50324prius

50324prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would be upset with U Haul since you said you asked them more than once about potential modifications. The panel that was removed came with the car so it must have a function.
    I would say that they made an uninformed decision, and it was not the best one.

19. 50324prius

50324prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went and looked at a neighbors prius that has a U Haul hitch. Uhaul did leave the panel in place on the underside of the car, but really did a hatchett job on one of the main fasteners in the middle of the panel.
    Not a good report card for that company.

20. frozenmba

frozenmba Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm planning to buy the uhaul hitch, but don't want to remove my underbody panel. I did some research and in the installation guide, it looks like the drawtite, hidden hitch and uhaul are all made by cequent, 24847, 60263, 77220, 24796 (U-Haul). Are all these exactly the same? (maybe just the sticker is changed)

Also saw the etrailer installation video for the drawtite hitch, they don't remove the underbody panel. Assuming the drawtite and the uhaul are exactly the same, there's no need to remove the underbody panel right? Anyone with any of these hitches, please chime in.