1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius will not go into Invalid Mode.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ShaneTrain, Jun 16, 2018.

1. ShaneTrain

ShaneTrain New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello, I have been having difficulties in getting my Prius into Invalid mode.

When I was flushing my brake fluid I made the mistake of using a vacuum brake bleeder on all of the brakes.

The braking system was working very well until the ABS and TCU lights came on and I lost regenerative braking. Now I have only the contact braking which works well enough to drive because the brakes actually perform better than they previously did. I had been able to reset the ECB with the ODBII paperclip trick which would clear the problem for a few days but now it stays on regardless. Pulling the 12V battery results in the codes still present as well. One clue is that sometimes when I'm stopped I can hear the accumulator buzzing.

While I'm waiting for my mini VCI cable + software to see what is actually wrong with the car, I have been going over all the resources on servicing the braking system. Going back over my mistakes and performing a proper bleed is a good place to start.

I have been trying to get this thing into Invalid mode by following these instructions:

"For future reference you have to do the following within 1minute:
    1. Turn the power switch on (IG) with park (P) selected and parking brake applied.
    2. Select N and then depress the brake pedal more than 8 times in 5 seconds.
    3. Push the P position switch and then depress the brake pedal more than 8 times in 5 seconds.
    4. Select N and then depress the brake pedal more than 8 times in 5 seconds.
    5. Push the P position switch.

Then the yellow brake warning light "( (!) )" will start blinking."

No matter what I do, the brake warning light never beings blinking. I can even verify that the car knows I am pressing the brake because while the machine is in park the start/stop light goes green all 8+ times I press the brake. I thought maybe it was because my battery was at the minimum charge to shut the engine off but after trying again with a nearly full battery the result is the same.

I'm at a complete loss, but my miniVCI cable is on its way.

2. ShaneTrain

ShaneTrain New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was also able to get these codes from the MFD:

B1585
    B15BB
    B15DF

Then I counted the ABS codes as being 42 and 98.