1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius, windshield problems

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Tomek246, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomek246

Tomek246 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have 2011 prius, when i bought the car i didint notice the windshield problem as i was looking at the hybrid cenetr disply all the time. Any way as the time went by while driving at low light times i noticed thst the headlights and all other light coming at me where distorted. Distorted in a way that if you where looking at one of the light and took your finger and placed it on the light and puled it down and then up above the light, smaging or streching it. And as the light comes thords u it comes back together as the car passes u. It is also visible with LED trafick lights and police lights, the police lights u can clearly see three separate lights above the tru lights with brakes in between them. I have advuced the dealer about the problem, the service manager said that it may be because of the chemical that they use when transporting new cars. But in the end they decided to replace it with a new one, but the new one comes with the same problem, i am sure that they did change the windshield as i marked it and the mark was gone after also when i cleand the winshield i noticed two big marks from the suction cups used by the techs. I just wander if any one else noticed the problem or am i the only one? Or maby there is something wrong with my eyes. Well i dont know if there is any thing else i could do to fix the problem? I dont want to give the car back as i love the MPGs

2. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is the problem, exactly?

Any piece of glass will cause refractions at each surface (so, the outside, and the inside) causing three images. This can be made worse if you wear (or need) glasses.

3. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry but I can not understand just what the heck you are saying.

4. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Two per piece of glass, the windshield is likely double pane glass (with a plastic seperator). Thus 6 images, with the middle 4 being indistinguishable, leaving the appearance of 3.

If you have multiple pane windows, you can see this effect clearly with a match, or other point light source.

5. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    +1...get some keyboard lessons:D

1 person likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    grammer lessons.

7. srevelation

srevelation Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have to agree with the posting. My Prius windshield distorts pinpoint lights. Specifically, the headlights of the cars have an "after image" above and below the actual light. It seems to almost be a prism effect and I want to know if this is related to the very low angle of the glass, or if it is a problem with the sealing of the interpane with the two sections of glass (the sandwich of glass and plastic which makes it safety glass)? I'm hoping to be able to check out another 2011 to see if it exhibits the same effect at night, but wanted to check with this group to see if they see it as well?

8. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I actually understand 100% what the op is talking about. I just wrote a new thread on the topic. I don't like it and feel like it is actually starting to impair my vision. I noticed a bad change in my vision almost immediately after buying my prius.

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That would be grammar. ;)

To the OP, I have not noticed this effect, but it is not my primary car and I have not driven it much at night.

10. Amit R

Amit R Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    [​IMG]
    Image capture of the issue.

11. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle: