1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius with 25,000 miles

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Chris P, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Chris P

Chris P New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    After 85,000 miles driving on free, used vegetable oil, my 1996 Passat wagon is now falling apart (transmission slipping, fuel sender broken, air conditioning vents clogged, injection pump busted, rear window not working...it's dying all around the beautiful diesel engine), and my wife is harping on me to buy another car.
    An associate of mine owns a Chevy dealership and has a 2011 Prius just traded in for a Volt. He said I could have for $19,800. I'm sweating because I don't know if I should buy it.
    My other friend who is a salesman at a Lexus dealer says he has a 2007 with 84,000 miles for $10,800
    I haven't had a car payment since 1992, and I'm really nervous. I don't know if I should buy the newer one, the older one, or neither.
    I live in Clearwater, Florida and these cars lived their lives there. I told the Chevy dealership that I would let them know tomorrow.
    Please advise/ assuage my fears.

2. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only you can answer how much different things matter to you and how much you can afford.
    If you are worried becuase the 2011 is so new you are thinking there must be someting wrong for it to be a trade in, I don't think you need to worry about that. There is probably absolutely nothing wrong with the 2011 Prius.. the user was probably just (in their view) trading up to a Volt. (Quieter ride, better fuel usage for many/most drivers, more power). To know how good a deal that is we'd need to know what package is the Prius? (I.e. or what was its original price).

The Lexus will be quieter, have more power and various amenities. The Prius will (probably) last longer, get better milage and have a bit more room. Its your money; its your choice. If you choose the Prius you can/should go back an negotiate on the Prius with the Lexus price.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    neither will run on vegetable oil, used or new.