1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Prius Won't Start

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Daco, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Daco

Daco New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I drove my Prius all day Thursday, starts and stops, shut off multiple times and restarted wtih no issues. At the end of the day after a 45 minute drive, when I turned the car off there were strange noises under the hood (buzzes, hums, etc.). The car would not restart, there were no dash lights, and the dome light was very dim. This sounds like the 12V battery, but would it discharge in this situation? Any help would be appreciated.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It could be a weak battery already. Replacing a battery after 5 years is pretty normal

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Our 2011 12v went a few months ago, so yours is probably due. Same situation, was out driving around doing stuff, then it wouldn't start. There was a yellow exclamation symbol (!) on the dash display though.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd be very reluctant to continue driving the car, exhibiting all these symptoms; one of two things could happen:

1. It'll leave you stranded, say if it's a near-dead 12 volt.
    2. Long shot, but something more significant could be failing, and continuing to drive could cause irreparable damage.

5. Daco

Daco New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you for the responses. I purchased a new 12 volt battery and all is well.

xliderider and Mendel Leisk like this.