1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Toyota Prius 3 vs. 2011 Honda Accord Coupe EX

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Nov 7, 2011.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not in the same class, but these two are fairly comparable on price. As of Jan 2011, the Coupe EX (4 cylinder) was $26,005 on the sticker and Prius Three (no navi) was $25,010 (with mats). Honda only discounted $500 where Toyota was doing about $1k off sticker in Janurary. Two features the Coupe has that this Prius doesn't is USB and fancy 17" wheels. I really like the sliding sun visor extenders. Put those in Prius! :)

Unless you're on long highway trips, the Prius gets about double the fuel economy. The coupe can score about 35 MPG highway, BUT, that's only on highway trips well past the point of the engine fully warming up. IDK, 25 miles? Prius can't seem to do less than 55 MPG. Such a shame :D

Take the Coupe in the city and the MPGs fall off quickly. Extended suburban driving nets about 25 MPGs. Same suburb driving, Prius gets about 55 MPG. Typically I get about 25 to 28 combined in the Coupe. Prius should be well over 50 in similar driving.

Compared to Prius, driving the coupe is a little old fashioned - approach the car, push keyfob button, usually toss key on floormat while sitting down (it's low, have to use my hands to brace getting way down there). Insert key, crank, crank, start up, wait. By this time, I am halfway down the street in Prius.

You guys have it great with engine off a stoplights, parking lots, drive thrus. Boggles my mind how some people think engine off and low speed electric drive is weird or like a golf cart :rolleyes:

People say the Prius is serene to drive. I'll give it that. Prius is a good bit quieter than the coupe which has some engine note and more tire noise. You feel the road quite a bit more in the coupe, especially with the firmer seats. Prius seats are soft and sit you several inches higher. The coupe seats are pretty low to the floorboard, like a Lexus CT200h.

I like to drive the 3rd gen in Power Mode. Even in Power Mode, Prius encourages me to accelerate a little more easily than the Coupe. It's easy to get carried away accelerating from a stop in the coupe because it has more power and shifts quickly. There is nothing to tell me how much gas I'm burning, but I wish it had an running fuel economy indicator, I think. Maybe I'd get more depressed about the fuel economy. :) Good thing I only drive 8k miles per year.

Surprisingly, the 2011's JBL sound is a little richer in the front seat than the EX which has the upgraded 270 watt sound system. I think because the Prius dash speakers might be a little larger and bounce off the windshield. Coupe only has a small tweeter up high and doesn't have quite the midrange audio power. Both good enough though.

By now you're probably thinking, this guy needs to get back into a Prius or another HSD hybrid. If so, it will probably be used and hopefully at a lower cost. :D

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    my thoughts exactly lol. Used Gen 3? or Prius v?

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe a used 3rd gen as a tide-me-over to the 4th gen which is going to be even better!

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol ok!

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You might want to test drive a high end Civic coupe to split the differences. Seriously.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No more coupes for me. I want the 4 doors, room for up to 5 and hatchback utility to ditch the 23 year old pickup I have to move from one side of the street to another to avoid parking tickets. :) Plus at 6'2" my head would be hitting the roof in a Civic coupe. All the high end ones have sunroof. :)

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just gassed up early on the coupe (it's the only way to see how the fuel economy is going) ...

142.3 mi / 5.685 gal = 25.03 MPG

Lot of highway miles in there with some 2 or 3 mile trips too. Still, yuck. 2nd gen was getting 47 under same conditions.

Enjoy your Prius', they're great for using less gasoline.