1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2011 Toyota Prius Offers All New PLUS Performance Package

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by stream, Jun 30, 2011.

1. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    TORRANCE, Calif., June 30, 2011 - - The Toyota Prius, the best-selling hybrid in America, offers an exciting new accessory package for 2011. First debuted at the 2010 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show -- the Prius PLUS Performance Package features components of the new PLUS hybrid performance line from Toyota Racing Development (TRD).

Toyota press release linked below:
    Toyota USA Newsroom | 2011 Toyota Prius Offers All New PLUS Performance Package

1 person likes this.
  2. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    While it is not something that I'd ever be interested in, it does seem like a sound decision by Toyota. It has been in the news that the company believes that Prius will surpass the Camry as the companies volume leader in the near future and this just helps further widen the appeal of what was considered a niche vehicle not too long ago.

3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it's lower, why isn't economy better?

Basically, and I knew this before I clicked the link, it's $3k for nonsense accessories that will do extremely little to affect performance. It will still be a 10-second car. And that's 10 seconds to 60, mind you, not the quarter mile. Still slower than most minivans available for sale. Spending money making the car perform better is a categorical waste of it.

Agree with last poster, it's a good idea by Toyota. There are people who will buy this. Many people throw money at rubbish so Toyota will capture some of that.

4. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I guess that depends on your definition of performance. If you mean it to be faster and quicker in straight line speed, then no due to the added weight of the modifications. The same could be said of fuel economy, thus the concept of being "lower" doesn't necessarily increase economy.

If you consider performance to include better handling, than this will fit your bill. Sure $3K is a bit of money to spend on "silly" modifications, but then there are already people out there spending money to modifying the Prii with aftermarket parts (which could effective void factory warranty). Why wouldn't Toyota offer factory-backed parts if people are already willing to spend the money? They do run a business after all.

5. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota should, I think they'll make money. I suppose in the end I think modifying this car for performance is virtually brain dead to begin with. It's like buying a 6 cylinder mustang and throwing $10k in it and it's still slower than a GT.

6. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is no reason to rant about the 0-60mph in 10 seconds in your Prius. You knew that going in or you could have bought a Mustang or Camaro SS. While you are a practical person, most people are not. People buy boats where I live and and a Tahoe to pull it. They use it a few times per year, like this coming weekend. A sport Plus appearance package of ~$4,000 dollars is nothing.

People waste more money in other things. How is that for redundancy: I know this person who has a smart phone, an iPad and a Laptop, and data services for all these devices. These devices do exactly the same thing.

7. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not ranting about the 0-60. I knew it was slow when I got it :) I'm kind of a cheap skate. I could make another thread about what people pay for mobile devices as well :D

8. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    How much performance improvements will the PLUS package have over the V? The stock V can corner low to mid .8G Can the PLUS package bring that number to .9G's? If not, then I don't think it's worth the money.

Back in 97, Toyota made a 5speed manual Tacoma extended cab 2WD 3.4L V6. In 98, they rebadged that combination with a new paint job and a new badge and call it S-Runner. Acceleration is the same but only the cornering have improved marginally. You can still get the V6 2WD but in automatic at the time but no longer the manual. You can easily bolt on suspension upgrades to the normal 2WD Xcab V6 auto and out corner the S-Runner. years later, Toyota discontinued the V6 in 2WD altogether and only offer the V6 in X-Runner exclusively. In the Tacoma/S/X-Runner versions, the performance package did improved cornering, and later years acceleration in the 2WD lineup as there are no other V6 in 2WD.

The Prius PLUS could be the stepping stone into a high performance lineup of the Prius line. Remember the Lexus CT line? Lexus said that they will bring out CT300h, 400h and 500h in the future. Future Prius PLUS could get the CT300h, CT400h, or the CT500h engine while the regular Prius would only see the regular Prius engine.

For now, I don't think it's worth the money. Rebadge it all you want, it's still a Prius. A Prius is well known for fuel economy not performance. As I keep telling my friends, "It's a Prius, not a race car. You can kick my nice person in acceleration but I can kick your nice person in fuel economy."

1 person likes this.
  9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If the car is lower to the ground, less air flow below and that decreases drag coefficient.

I think it is a great option for those who want a better handling Prius with 17" rims but don't want to spend extra money on the Advance Technology package.

We have Prius owners that buys Prius II or III and get aftermarket wheels and lowering spring. I guess Toyota wants a piece of the pie and offer a proper optimized package for a reasonable (compare to aftermarket) price.

You get a great handling and a cool looking Prius for $28k. That's less expensive than a base CT200h and you still get 50 MPG and wouldn't need to downsize.

10. Geek

Geek New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish it was available outside of the US. Anyone have part numbers for the Kit?

11. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If it included a wing, spinners, neon wheel well lighting, and a fart can I'd be interested. Seriously.

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can actually go to Toyota web site and build a Prius with the Performance Package now.

TOYOTA PRIUS PLUS PERFORMANCE PACKAGE FEATURES

• PLUS Ground Effects Kit
    • PLUS 17-inch Split Five-Spoke Forged Alloys Wheels with Low Profile P215/45R17 All-Season Tires
    • PLUS Lowering Springs Kit
    • PLUS Rear Sway Bar Kit
    • Carpet Floor Mats with PLUS Logo
    • PLUS Exterior Badge

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose diversity in offerings is a good thing?

But personally 3 grand for what are esentially cosmetics...outside of maybe the sway bar...seems steep and unnecessary to me.

But I'm getting old and uncool....I figure I'm about 7 years away from white walls, and silver moon hubcaps...

14. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Performance in the mind of the driver. NOT in reality.
    Yup, $3 k for cosmetics, $250 for sunglasses, and you're set!
    If you want to improve handling, get better tyres.

15. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It does come with better tires... upsized. And suspension upgrades from TRD. Not excited about the body kit; that'll probably knock $1K off the cost.

16. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that looks good!! like the wheels too! always good to have more options to keep us hardcore car guys busy!

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think the Prius will surpass the Camry in the near future.

Normally, Camry sells well over 30k units per month (not including since the Tsunami, everything is skewed).

Prius is normal times sells around 15k ish / month give or take a few thou.

Even with the v, PHV and all, I just don't see the Prius getting up over 30k / month anytime soon.
    ------------------------

btw, nice split5 / 10 spoke wheels. I like mine.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are some people that are going to hit this package for days. It looks very professional and I'm sure it is.

So, I guess this could be added to a II through IV? Maybe only without sunroof?

19. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does it include the mind control kit to have birds fly in formation above my car and poop on my shiny new body kit, or better yet, the cars around me?

20. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i think it's a worthy upgrade. i bet you can get it past .9g's i've done a few test with apps on my phone (multiple apps. some free some paid). i peak around 1.14 but that's breaking traction. i'd say it's more like .9 or 1