1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Harmon/Entune: Dealer Runaround? Are there plug-in diagnostics reports for stereos?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by GreenMachine2012, Dec 18, 2020.

1. GreenMachine2012

GreenMachine2012 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Somebody hit the back drivers' side of my car. Stereo hasn't worked since. Insurance said they'd need to see diagnostics on the stereo from the dealer.

Dealer said fine, told me I also needed a brake job. Fine.

Then I couldn't get the diagnostic on the stereo from them. A lot of back and forth. Finally got a print out that doesn't mention the stereo at all.

Does such a thing even exist? If so, what is it called, so I can ask the dealer for it.

Is there anywhere other than a Toyota dealer where I can get it?

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    “Diagnostics” doesn’t necessarily mean computer output. The insurance company may just need a statement, in writing, from someone independent from you and qualified to diagnose the problem, of what’s wrong with the stereo system, how the problem is plausibly related to the collision, and how much it would cost to fix.
    The radio head unit’s built-in diagnostic mode (“Service Menu”) is explained in the Repair Manual (more info) and has been discussed in other PriusChat threads. People often assume it’s general diagnostic and indicating system for the vehicle, but it’s actually meant for just this scenario, to diagnose problems with the audio and visual system or navigation system. (What is the problem, by the way? No sound? Black screen?)

The self-diagnostic capabilities are limited, however. If the problem is in a power supply or speaker circuit, for example, the technician will need to use conventional techniques for electrical troubleshooting, guided by your description of the symptoms and the information in the Repair Manual and Electrical Wiring Diagram.

Indeed, for many problems, the time spent finding the problem, including any needed disassembly to get access to wiring and connectors, will be much greater than the time for the repair itself, which may just be reattaching a loose connector or splicing a broken or pinched wire.
    This is probably a Health Check report from a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system, which should also show any diagnostic trouble codes that might be stored in the audio and visual or navigation systems. Not every stereo problem has a DTC, however—it isn’t like the emission control system, which is required by regulations to have comprehensive self-diagnostic capabilities.
    Yes. Ask the insurance company to be sure, but I imagine they’d accept a diagnosis and estimate from a dealer, from an independent repair shop, or even from a car stereo shop, as long as it’s clear that the estimate includes only the cost of restoring the stereo system to its pre-collision condition, not any upgrades.