1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV First Impressions

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Hybrids and EVs' started by Tideland Prius, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Full Article

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Dude - what happened ?!? You let THIS guy, beat your test ride by over TWO years? . . . . . . . . man . . .
    iMiEV

darelldd . . . always being first . . . That's just not right
    :p

ok, on a serious note . . . what's up the the drag coefficient number . . . does it require congressional approval to find out what it is? The web seems to be all over the board as to what the actual number is. Kudos to Mitsubishi for not ONLY being the 1st to bring quick charging to So Cal (largest) ... THE largest major metropolitan area . . . but for ALSO sharing their quick charger w/ other manufacturer's cars!

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've only seen it once on the road back in July and I'm pretty sure it was a manufacturer vehicle (I'm not sure when it goes on sale). So yes, we're a bit behind.

4. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I saw the miev and even rode in it a little at the NY auto show. So I'm not an owner but at least I have touched one.

I was impressed. If you can get over the goofy appearance and Spartan features...I think it will catch on as a city/suburban commuter car.

It's about as easy to get in and out of as a Prius. way easier than a Corolla. It's higher off the ground. It has the most advanced lithium batteries to date, allowing more recharges than others. $22k base price after federal incentives. Mitsubishi is officially stating 62 mile range which includes climate control, but off the record they are stating up to 90 or so in the city with no climate control, refined driving technique, good weather, etc. It allows remote battery warming and interior heating and a/c while plugged in.

I think it would be a fun car to own without breaking the bank. It's not a car for everyone...like the regular Prius can be.

Drawbacks as I see it... electricity in NYC runs roughly 25 cents per kilowatt hour making it actually slightly more expensive to run (considering fuel only) than my 2010 Prius.

I might get one...then my Prius would be my gas guzzler.

Anybody else with an opinion?

5. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    I drove one briefly a couple of weeks ago. I also think it would make a good city commuter car. It's cheaper than the LEAF and also more efficient in EV city driving than any other car including the PiP. I have read that it isn't great on the highway but is okay. I'm not sure what crash safety rating it got but, assuming it did well, I would seriously consider getting one versus a LEAF especially if cost is a major issue. The styling is a bit unusual but then so is the LEAF. That's either good or bad depending on your point of view.

6. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Mitsu official i promotion booklet that I'm reading from -- heavy
    stock, matte finish paper, embossed cover -- says Cd is 0.35...
    Not all that good. Maybe OK because it's intended as a "city car?"
    (Remember the US spec car is 12 in. longer and 4.8 in. wider
    than the JDM and Euro car. This could lead to different Cd numbers
    on the Inter-web.)

Don't know actual frontal area but height is 63.6 in., width 62.4.
    The near vertical back is a CD killer too.

Don't know why but, the car doesn't even have the little diverters in
    front of the wheels like the Prius and so, so many other Japanese and
    European cars do.

7. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where I live, the average mph on my hsi display rarely goes over 17 over the course of a tank of gas. I'm not worried about the coD.