1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 no longer getting charged via plug-in cable.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by PixelRogue, Nov 2, 2023.

1. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    2012 no longer getting charged via plug-in cable.

Charging cable itself seems fine... test and reset, lights work etc. Issue is when plugging into the PIP, it is no longer charging the car. When plugged in, there is usually a little lighted icon indicating charging...but no more. Issue has been this way for about two days as I keep experimenting thinking it is a loose connection or something else more simple. Getting in the car, zero charge.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are there any public chargers you can try, to eliminate a cable problem?

do all the pins look okay? is the thumb clip engaging properly?

do you have any timer settings that could be interfering?

it could be the port, or the charger, but that's going to get complicated

3. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Visual inspection of the cable itself seems fine. Never used the timer or settings for charging...just plugged it in when not in use. Thank you for mentioning trying a local charger - I do know of one and will try that this weekend. My suspicion is that is the port itself (or possibly the battery?)

There were a few times (maybe 3-4 months back) where the charge didn't seem register as 'full' as normal where I was starting to question the battery - but then a week later charging returned to normal. What signs are there on the PIP of the large battery going?

4. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    -duplicate-delete-

#4 PixelRogue, Nov 3, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Normally, the battery will simply decrease over time.
    Eventually, when it can no longer start the engine, or if a catastrophic failure, you’ll get a trouble light and code

6. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Hybrid battery (the large one in the back) - wouldn't the 12 volt (small one in the back) be responsible for starting the engine?

#6 PixelRogue, Nov 3, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You need both batteries to start the car; the hybrid battery powers the electric motors in the transaxle to do the cranking, and the electronics are powered by the 12 volt.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, the 12v only boots up the computer and closes the relay to the hybrid battery.
    Then the hybrid battery uses the ecvt to spin up the engine.
    Then the hybrid battery keeps the 12v charged through the inverter, which in turn runs accessories like lights and radio.

9. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Isolate your issue. Try a public charger. If still nothing, the most common failure is the car's plug socket got pushed back. Repair or replace the car's plug socket and double check the ground point on the cars frame is clean with good connection to the car's body.
    You can do a search of this forum for the procedure. The plastic socket get old and brittle over time and usually happens around the ten year mark.

Hope this helps....

bisco likes this.
  10. willyag

willyag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've had the same problem with my 2012 for years. In fact yesterday it happened again and again I fixed it by unplugging the charger (both ends) and letting it sit for a half hour.
    I hope that works for you and the problem isn't more serious.

bisco likes this.
  11. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: It is the cable. It acts like an iPhone charging cable that needs to held in a specific way for it work...

Given the expense of these charging cables, curious on the realistic possibility of repairing the cable vs. purchasing new.

bisco likes this.
  12. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: It is the cable. It acts like an iPhone charging cable that needs to held in a specific way for it work...

Given the expense of these charging cables, curious on the realistic possibility of repairing the cable vs. purchasing new.
    ---
    Was asking about the battery as when the 12volt small battery dies, the car becomes a paperweight... you can't even open the trunk w/o using the emergency key and climbing into the back to release the hatch. Awkward as all get out.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    repair would be difficult at best. my thumb switch went out, and it was a nightmare to go inside and isolate the wires to put in a new switch.
    you may be handier than me though, and you can buy a new handle.

new evse's aren't that much on amazon, or you could look for a lightly used one on ebay

14. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A

Appears to be a break, possibly in the common, which is evident when the cable is attached under its own weight. Lift the cable onto a prop and the charge proceeds as expected. While the original OEM's remain expensive, for the same $$ you can essentially get a 240 cable or wall unit. Wonder if there is a way just to replace the chorded part itself...

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Even the replacement plug is expensive

16. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I got a new unused Chrysler Pacifica unit for $100 plus tax on ebay. There are two kinds a Mopar and a Chrysler. The Chrysler is smaller. There are similar units for Ford, Chev, etc. Most are more money, I waited till one was cheap. Works fine. The handle is not the generic one sold with aftermarket units. All the oe units sell for quite a lot new. Any of them should be good.
    It also saved the Toyota evse from going bad from use. Toyota says they have a lifespan then stop working. Actually I have more than one extra oe made now, plus an aftermarket.
    Some nice ones had sold for less than a $100 of varying makes, but I just did buy it now and no bidding. Some like for Volt have a holder to wind the cord, others come with a bag.

#16 Mr.Vanvandenburg, Nov 7, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
  17. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  18. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    When I got my 2012 Prius Plug-in in 2015, I found a used Nissan Leaf portable charger for on eBay which I mounted outside as my Level 1 charger for the Prius Plug-In. It still works fine after all this time outside in the elements.

Thread here:

Can you use a Leaf charger with a Prius Plug In? | PriusChat

That reminds me. I need to look to see where my original Toyota charger is now. I haven't used it in like 8 years.