1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012+ package II back up camera, group buy, gauging interest ( i am not a vender)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by 06d, Feb 19, 2014.

1. 06d

06d Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Need 5 for group buy:
    me = x 2
    MyPolardog98 = 1

Need two more @ $60 each + 9% CA tax ~

Hello, I am helping a friend install a back up camera for her package 2 2014 prius 3rd gen. i have done several of these installs myself on package 2 prius, but i don't like the quality of the cameras that come with these ebay kits therefore i am trying to seek the harness and install with a better quality camera such as a sony, pioneer, audiovox. however i found that the BEATSONIC BCUS3 BACKUP CAMERA harness is not cheap. im attempting to contact the harness manufacture of the ebay product and wondering if there are any other prius owners that is interested to purchase this and maybe we can share the discount. I want to mention that i am NOT the vendors of any of these items, this thread is strictly for gauging interest. i will post pricing shortly after i get a response from the vendor. this harness will also fit on any entune stereos such as camry, rav4, brz, frs, & etc
    [​IMG]
    Vender responded to $68 each or $55 each with at least 25 orders

Installation tools:
    tape, zip ties, 10mm socket, panel tools, pliers for T-tap or solder gun, wire stripper, wire cutter/ crimper, power drill ( not shown in photo)
    [​IMG]

I have came across this kit made by Roadshop is probably the best kit i saw from all the choices i've seen online. here is the kit when it arrived Roadshop TOYHD1401 Toyota Scion Backup Reverse Rear View Camera Kit | eBay
    [​IMG]

Here the basic installation instructions, this will only work with 2012+ package 2 gen 3 prius:

disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything that goes wrong. Me, nor Priuschat can be held liable if you catch your car on fire!
    disconnect negative battery terminal
    Use a panel trim tool remove plastic trim starting from the top of the hatch to the side.
    [​IMG]

On the large bottom plastic piece there is a inserts on each side for you to insert the panel tool to pop the trim piece out. leave the middle trim for last

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    finally remove the middle plastic trim, start by prying on the sides with panel tool
    [​IMG]
    After removing all plastic trim off the hatch, locate 4 x 10mm bolts (indicated with red O's)
    [​IMG]
    Remove all 4x 10mm bolts 7 disconnect harness to license plate light & open trunk button. remove exterior plastic trim use panel tools to pry trim off
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I placed the camera to the OE camera location, by using the black blank, I drilled a hole to mount my aftermarket camera. Camera mounting may vary depending on camera manufacture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I place some superglue where the blank & trim meet to secure fitment
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To prevent drilling the metal hatch, I removed one of the plastic retainer to run the wire inside the car
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ground camera along with Chassis ground with Fork crimp provided with kit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Route camera signal wiring along with factory wire to the top of the hatch and use factory wiring grommet to route wire into the cabin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Run wire behind weather strip to the, find the gap between interior trim & head liner.
    start by removing headliner fastener
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    run wire to rear driver side door sill, tuck wire behind panel
    [​IMG]
    Route wire behind door weather trip down to the floor to avoid side airbags.
    remove door kick panels, follow oe wire mounts for front & rear door
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    remove weather stripping off both doors to remove B panel cover and run wire along with factory wiring all the way to the front driver's kick panel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Use plastic panel tools to disassemble dash & Remove 4 x 10mm socket to remove stereo, TIP use a towel to cover my interior to prevent scratches
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Remove 4 10mm bolts holding factory stereo
    [​IMG]
    Tap the stock stereo harness (10 pin harness accessory (grey pin 3) to get power for the camera. I recommend soldering the wire for a secure connection, however this kit came with T-taps and i did not have a solder with me on the day of installation
    turn car on put it in reverse to Test the system/ tap
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    use a set of pliers to lock T-tap (you should hear a click)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Plug harness in, bring wires previously ran to kick panel up to behind the stereo by taking other kick panel off near the gas pedal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    connect all wires, pull carpet back and secure wires
    [​IMG]
    reassemble everything , reconnect negative terminal and test unit
    [​IMG]
    feel free to contact me if you have any questions im located in the bar area (nor cal.)

Please excuse my misspellings, briefness, & grammatical errors as this thread was created in a short period of time.

#1 06d, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  2. 06d

06d Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DYI added, instructions are kinda vague, i wasn't planing on doing a write up, but found some reference photos during my installation hence i decided to share

3. Jay J

Jay J Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used the Beatsonic harness and Pioneer Camera.. Erik at Beatsonic does have A+ customer service and the Beatsonic harness is only seventy something vs sixty something. The R&D that the guys there put in I'd rather just get the Beatsonic camera at that point. Maybe 40% less in price and then I guess you could get the off-brand/replica but it's only a few $$ in difference.

4. 06d

06d Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    for those who are following this thread, i have an answer from beatsonic they are willing to sell the harness at $60 each and minimum order is 5 orders & 9% CA sales tax unless someone here has a california sellers permit. i am in for two i need three more people that is interested to make this happen

5. Mypolardog98

Mypolardog98 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. 06d

06d Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i have purchased the bulk order from the supplier so who ever wants one please feel free to contact me. i have also taken the time to update the write up, if any of you have any trouble installing the back up camera please feel free to contact me.

7. gwizdi2907

gwizdi2907 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello, I recently bought a 3rd generation Prius, from the previous owner I know that the car had a regular radio 86120-47300, but it was changed to one with a 86140-47090 display, it works correctly, only after pressing the button Car does not display information, I want to add a rear view camera, I have already done the first approach to this topic, I unscrewed the radio and I have a free 16pin plug in it, to which the camera is connected on all tutorials, but after connecting the video input to 8 and 16 pin after applying 12v voltage to the camera, nothing happens. Anyone got an idea?