1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius 2 or 3 - possible to convert to power seat?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by mrstop, Jun 22, 2012.

1. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Newbie here. I am nearly settled on buying a new 2012 Prius. Based on feedback about the improved seat comfort on the power seats, it seems like this is a nice option. Unfortunately the power seat is only available on the 4 (Ironically I had to inform the sales person the other day and no other person in the store new :confused:).

The issue is that I am having a hard time justifying the ~ $4K for getting a single driver power seat as I really don't want the other options. I prefer cloth, don't care about the auto headlights, and I would rather put the money in an aftermarket audio than the JBL upgrade.

I would like to buy a 2 or 3 model (maybe for the 3 way SKS) and convert at least the front seat to power. I was thinking the passenger seat may be able to be converted from a Japanese spec as well. I have looked online for parts and diagrams to understand the differences, but it doesn't appear that they are published for 2012 yet.

My question: Does anyone know the specific differences between the power and non-power seats? Is the difference just the power mechanisms, or are the frame, cushions and covers different also? Has anyone priced it out?

2. hyhi

hyhi Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    if someone knows that answer to put those power seats in a 2010 IV would love to know that answer as well :)
    though do answer mrstop question first please and thank you :)

3. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry about posting to the wrong forum!

I'm a little at a loss at trying to find technical details of the car. I guess have gotten spoiled by Honda's online parts retailers and systems. They have made it really easy to find and identify parts for their cars. Finding parts diagrams for Toyota seems more difficult. When I do find them, they don't have the 2012 Prius. Also, the references are quite cryptic. I don't mind doing the research, but need to find the info. Any ideas?

I was checking out service manuals for the Prius and the 2012 doesn't appear to be available yet either. I usually buy service manuals for my vehicles via Helm. My last one was around $85 for my Odyssey. Looking up the Prius, it's a 5 volume set at ~$200 per volume? I know the Prius is a little more complex than the Odyssey, but jeepers! Do you guys usually use the printed service manuals?

4. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Even if it's doable, the power seat would be Softex, not cloth.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The factory manuals occasionally show up on eBay on a CD for between $10 and $40. IIRC, they are also available for free on some outside the US website. There is something like 9,000 pages of them

6. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm sure I can swap out the seat one for one. Even if the wiring harness is different, it should be a matter of running power to the seat. My hope is that they share most of the same components and fabric pattern so that in the worse case I could swap out the seat cover. Best case I could reuse most of the seat components (foam, frame, air bag, etc).

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sometimes seats with different types of upholstery will have different foam padding.