1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius, $5,500 repair estimate, :( T-SB-0003-21

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by testerPriuc2012, Feb 18, 2022.

1. testerPriuc2012

testerPriuc2012 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II

I have a 2012 Prius with 100K miles. It went into limp mode. I took it to a local independent shop that specializes in Japanese cars. They quoted me $5,500 to repair it.

I was hoping someone could help me understand if the estimate looks ok? It mentions SERVICE BULLITIN T-SB-0003-21 and I have read some places that could be covered under a recall? But the shop didn't mention that, so I was unclear if maybe Toyota would pay to fix it?

Should I take it to a dealer to look at?
    thank you!

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT DIAGNOSIS; TEST DRIVE VEHICLE AND CONNECT SCANNER TO THE ECU. PULL THE CODES AND DETERMINE WHICH CODE IS CAUSING CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. PERFORM A VISUAL INSPECTION PER THE CODE DESCRIPTION FLOW CHART AND ADVISE CUSTOMER ON NEEDED REPAIRS OR IF MORE TIME IS NEEDED TO DIAGNOSE. TECHNICIAN OBSERVED THE CHECK ENGINE WARNING LIGHT, TRIANGLE WARNING LIGHT AND "CHECK HYBRIS SYSTEM" MESSAGE ILLUMINATED ON THE INSTRUMENT DISPLAY. ONCE IN THE SHOP CONNECTED SCAN TOOL TO THE VEHICLE AND RETRIEVED CODES P0A7A- 122 (GENERATOR INVERTER FAIL SIGNAL DETECTION - OVERCURRENT DUE TO SYSTEM MALFUNCTION), P0A94-553 (BOOST CONVERTER FAIL SIGNAL DETECTION - BOOST CONVERTER OVERHEATING) AND P0A94-557 (BOOST CONVERTER FAIL SIGNAL DETECTION - CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION) STORED IN THE HYBRID VEHICLE CONTROL MODULE. PERFORMED DIAGNOSIS AND FOUND TOYOTA TECHNICIAN SERVICE BULLITIN T-SB-0003-21 THAT OUTLINES REPLACEMENT OF INVERTER AND/OR INTELLIGENT POWER MODULE (IPM) TRANSISTOR. TECHNICIAN RECOMMENDS IPM TRANSISTOR AND INVERTER REPLACEMENT THEN RECHECK SYSTEM FOR PROPER OPERATION.

***PLEASE NOTE: DEPENDING ON CONDITIONS OF THE FAILED COMPONENTS, REPLACEMENT OF THE MOTOR/GENERATOR CONTROL MODULE MAY BE NEEDED AT ADDITIONAL EXPENSE***

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can go to toyota.com/owners to find out if the ipm module recall applies to your car, i think it should, but i'm not positive.
    you can probably call toyota or a dealer as well.

3. testerPriuc2012

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you. I tried that site, but it kept hanging up on me. I went to toyota recall website and searched my VIN, but it said there were no safety recalls or service campaigns.

This shop charged me $180 to diagnose the car. They have a decent reputation in now, but I have never used them before.

Would it be worth while to bring to a dealer?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would call the dealer first. sometimes they want to charge you to look at it, but they should be able to look up your vin.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. testerPriuc2012

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good news, I think Toyota is going to cover it! So we took it to an independent mechanic that says they specialize in Toyota's and hybrids, they wanted $5500 to do the work, said it was not under recall. We towed it to a dealer. They say they will fix it on their dime.

Not sure why we got different answers.

mikey_t and bisco like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the indy wanted your money?
    congrats!

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A recall is a problem that is reported to the government and normally is updated regardless of the current condition. A Customer Support Proram, like the Inverter program, is voluntary on Toyota's part and will only be repaired free if it has failed and the car is within Toyota's arbitrary time frames. Most mechanics don't know about all the special programs.

Not all inverter fails are covered. Generally specific codes must be present to qualify. Some owners have reset codes and then missed the time or mileage limits on other Customer Support Programs like the flawed Brake Boosters. The inverter voluntary program is one of the most generous Toyota has done, eg 15 years unlimited miles. Still it has to be broken and the right codes.

ETC(SS) likes this.