1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius C making a strange noise in front passenger tire side.

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusDriver69, Sep 21, 2023.

1. priusDriver69

priusDriver69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure why it's making this noise. Checking the front passenger tire, I don't see any issue. I took it to the auto shop and they checked the brake pads and said there’s 50% left. The mechanic thinks it’s the water pump that needs to be replaced but he’s not 100% sure. He wants $560 (includes coolant & labor) to replace water pump. After leaving the 1st mechanic, I barely hear the sound anymore and the sound is more faint and harder to hear. Not sure what the 1st mechanic did since I was not there. I went to a 2nd car shop and the 2nd mechanic cannot figure the issue since he doesn't hear the squealing sound cause it's more faint than ever. I have sensitive ears so I still hear it when I drive and now I'm not sure what to do.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Noise: sndup dot net/hj62

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If it IS the water pump and it fails completely, that can be hard on the engine.

Get a 3rd opinion, maybe after driving it a while longer.
    In today's market, $560 really isn't that bad for doing the pump and
    replacing the coolant.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it's that faint, ignore it

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If it gets louder as you speed up and seems to go away after 50 mph it could be a wheel bearing. Often will be quiet for the first ten minutes in the morning.

Sometimes the side of a droning bearing will be mistaken. An experienced mechanic will recognize the sound on a test drive.

Edit:
    After listening to the sound file it might be a rubbing brake backing plate which could have been tweaked some after the mechanic looked at it. Could clear when jacked up.

Sound file (scroll down)
    SndUp | Post info

#4 rjparker, Sep 22, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
  5. priusDriver69

priusDriver69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    edit: After going to the 3rd mechanic, it turns out it was a loose plastic hubcap!

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Rocks and other debris inside of hub caps can cause a similar problem.
    So can metal hub caps that aren't fully seated.

8. Carolyn M Delvalle

Carolyn M Delvalle New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This sounds similar to a repair we just had to have repaired which was the passenger side cv boot tear. Also I have read where yes our pads last a long time although the caliper bolts can have wear and rust which can make noise if the caliper is not opening and releasing properly. This we will be having checked with the wheel alignment that we need to get asap. Although we just got the car back yesterday after the car being out of commission for a week now. Our back brakes look rusted to hell and back. I will be posting about them and asking others opinions about them. Hope you find your issues and a solution.