1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius C metal rod in heat shield?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mustardsteve, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Mustardsteve

Mustardsteve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hey all, new user here. I always find this forum when searching for anything about my Prius C, so I'm hoping someone knows about this!

I was driving on the freeway and heard a clunk, I couldn't decide if it sounded to me like I ran over something I didn't notice, or if something broke on the underside of my car. Afterwards, I get periodic vibrating sounds coming from underneath the car. There's a metal rod in a hole in my heat shield, but I'm not sure if it's normal. It looks out of place and it's much more rusted than anything else down there.

Here's a picture and a video I took while trying to figure this out by myself.

I'm hoping I can just yank it out if it's just something I ran over. Thanks, everyone!

Attached Files:

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think your analysis is right; it is an "extra" part that you picked up.
    But that is just a guess.

I suggest that you tug on it a little (when it is cold) and see if it comes out easily.

P.S. THIS is a good example of one reason it is BAD to tailgate.
    The more space between you and the car ahead the better chance you have of avoiding "trash" like that laying in the road.