1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius Coolant Temp Light and losing coolant

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Hilary K, Oct 6, 2023.

1. Hilary K

Hilary K New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi! I have a 2012 Prius with 123,700 miles. For the past month, the coolant temp light would come on sporadically, either blinking or solid or both, stay on for 5 to 10 seconds, and then go off. The car drove fine and I was confused that the light would go off without me doing anything! I have had no other warning lights go on besides coolant temp light. My husband at one point added coolant and it lasted 4 or 5 days before I needed to add more. Now I need to add it every 1-3 days depending on how much I drive. I took it to a local mechanic who pressure tested it and could find no leaks. He suggested taking it to Toyota, which I did, and they said that they checked for HCs (hydrocarbons?) in the coolant and it came back positive. Possible head gasket leaking, possible engine damage/warped head. They listed codes P148F (eng coolant pump over revolution) and P3191 (engine does not start). They suggested to replace head gasket ($5,850), or replace the engine with a salvaged used engine ($7,961), or trade it in and get a different car. : (
    So sad for this news! I am seeing now that this seems to be a common problem with the Gen 3 Priuses, and I am wondering if I should fix the head gasket, or if it's smarter to replace the engine or get a new (or new used) car! There seem to be SO many things that could cause this problem and at this point, they are all expensive.
    Any advice or past experience would be appreciated. I am going to get 2 more quotes from different mechanics who are willing to do the work.
    Also, not sure if the coolant liquid was changed at 100,000 miles.

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Welcome!
    Sorry to hear it, but it does sound like the head gasket unfortunately.
    Keep in mind that the brake actuator could be next, also very expensive, and the inverter.
    If you love your car, a new engine would be best, especially gen 4 if you can find someone to install it.
    Head gasket is okay, but you need an expert to make sure there is no other engine damage.
    If you can afford a new (er) car, that might be best.

Hilary K likes this.
  3. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would take a chance and replace the engine water pump and fill it up with new coolant. Then see how it runs for a week or two. You definitely have a bad water pump. The coolant is probably being pushed out of the plastic reservoir. Look for evidence of dried coolant around the reservoir.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#3 Brian1954, Oct 7, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2023
    Hilary K likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    In New Jersey with careful shopping the engine supplier is in your state You should be able to get this done for about $1,900 maybe just a tad more That's an engine replacement with a JDM spec replacement from the engine importer right down the street from you in New Jersey.

Hilary K likes this.
  5. Hilary K

Hilary K New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you for the info! I can find a mechanic that will put in the same type of engine (not the next Gen). The same model engine is $1,200 from JDM. Just waiting for his estimate on the labor.

6. Hilary K

Hilary K New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    OK, for your next advice. The mechanic wants to try pouring a head gasket sealant ($40 one that comes in a small bottle, size of nail polish) down the radiator to see if that fixes the head gasket leak. I have read different opinions on this stuff but what do you all think? Better to try this before I put in a new engine? IThe car runs absolutely fine as long as I have enough coolant but I am leaking coolant and need to fill it up every 3-4 days.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You can certainly give that a go with the small leaks that these things develops a lot of people think that's a possibility Don't do it as my recommendation even with the latest orange label stuff I'll have to go out to the shop and take a picture of it and give you the name of it I wouldn't even use it a distributor came by here and gave me a whole spiel about it and I looked at him like it was out of his mind but he left two bottles and he really told me I should try it blah blah blah. Usually most all iterations of that kind of nonsense clogs up the ways and radiators heater cores things that you need for your car to work like you've expected and it has been once you plug up these ways in these devices like radiators and heater cores things get worse and then the head gasket sure enough erupts quickly I don't know where you are in the process You can try taking some of the pressure off the degas tank which is essentially your radiator jug You open the jug turn it over the cap You see the o-ring take it off with a scratch off put it in your armrest screw the cat back on now instead of building up 15 PSI of pressure or whatever builds up in that container It will not coolant will still circulate but it will not be under pressure so you will not get the added benefit of the pressure which is necessary generally speaking but in a Prius believe it or not it will take a lot to overheat the vehicle like traveling down the interstate for distances going to work and back and what not unless you're running Uber eats or something like that that's a whole different ball game but going back and forth to work 10-15 mi you could stave off doing the head gasket for probably months but no 4-hour trips down to the beach. The labor to replace your engine to be honest about it and most places in the country unless you're dealing with some high dollar people should be around $800 You supply the fluids oil Asian red coolant so on and so forth any hoses that are deemed needed to replace etc.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You say you're losing coolant so on the bottle you see the full mark how many days does it take for you to get off that full mark or hours? These are important things you need to know

Randycoureton likes this.
  9. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Please read what I wrote in post #3 above. It is much cheaper to replace the engine water pump than guessing that you have a bad head gasket and spending a lot of money replacing the head gasket or for a replacement engine.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#9 Brian1954, Oct 12, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
    Mr. F and Hilary K like this.
  10. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A Toyota dealer diagnosing a head gasket using a hydrocarbon gas test is definitive. The problem is too common on these years. Their dealer pricing is ridiculous when you could have a rebuilt motor shipped from California and installed for less than their head gasket price. An engine that has overheated several times is a poor risk for minimally invasive surgery (eg a head gasket alone) and does not upgrade the pistons and rings.

Sealant is a short term fix assuming it works at all. Perhaps a week, a month or a couple of months. You are risking the radiator and heater coil. The heater coil is expensive to fix since the dash has to come out.

Changing the water pump for $300 at an independent who ONLY uses oem parts is a possible step IF the engine has never severely rattled on startup, which is the typical head gasket symptom even before serious coolant loss and overheating has occurred. In fact many gen3 head gasket fails never overheat.

Otherwise I would find an independent to install a pro built rebuilt engine even if it has to be shipped to you. Not everyone will do this but it’s the best value if you want to keep the car longterm.

Prius gen3 hybrid pit rebuild ebay.jpeg

Mr. F and Hilary K like this.
  11. Hilary K

Hilary K New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi everyone. Thank you for your guidance. If the coolant is on full, and I am driving the car the normal amount (probably 40 - 70 miles a day on school days), it gets down to low level in around 3-4 days. Before I brought it to the mechanic, it seemed to be losing coolant at a faster rate than 3 weeks ago.
    I appreciate all of your responses. I decided to not do the sealant business and put in a used JDM engine from Belleville, NJ. It has 45,000-65,000 miles and was $1,200. The ONLY local mechanic that I found that will put it in has very good reviews and guarantees his work for one year. JDM guarantees the engine for 90 days. He's charging me $1,800 to put it in. Another $200 for liquids. Toyota dealership was going to charge me $5,850 to just do the head gasket. Feels like the right thing to do honestly, hoping I will get another 4 or 5 years out of it. I use it all the time driving my kids around and I want something safe that I am not going to keep having problems with or end up on the side of the road. I also hope to have my car back within two weeks and didn't want to bring it to the shop and then have to bring it back.
    Am I to assume that a new water pump will be installed with the new engine, or is that something that I need to point out to the mechanic? Probably always better to double check. He says I have a lot of questions. Ha ha.
    Thank you so much for your help! Your advice has made me feel better educated on my decision. At the least, it should work problem free for a while, and give me a younger engine. I will update here once it's done. : )

bisco likes this.
  12. V Sport Wagon

V Sport Wagon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes new water pump, thermostat, full EGR cleaning, intake and throttle body clean, fuel injectors, new PCV, plugs...everything. The problem with JDM engines is they have the same gasket as you had before and there's no way to tell if it's even already starting to leak. Good luck, hope it works for you.

Hilary K likes this.
  13. Hilary K

Hilary K New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    For the new water pump, does it make a difference if I have a 2012 Prius Five, or do all 2012 Priuses have the same main engine metal water pump. My mechanic seems to suggest getting a Gates water pump. What do you guys think?

14. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Only oem. Your old oem may be better than a new aftermarket.

Brian1954 and Hilary K like this.
  15. V Sport Wagon

V Sport Wagon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yep OEM only.

Hilary K likes this.
  16. Hilary K

Hilary K New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the feedback. : )

17. Hilary K

Hilary K New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Update: Have my car back now with a new water pump and a new used JDM Gen 3 engine. Right now, it's working great and I can feel the difference in how it drives now that I've changed the engine. : )

bisco likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

Hilary K likes this.
  19. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Congratulations! It will drive better with no Shake, Rattle and Roll.

Hilary K likes this.
  20. Hilary K

Hilary K New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you for all of your advice. It has been an excellent guide!