1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius Five LED headlight beam shakes?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by exbauer, Jul 12, 2012.

1. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those of you with 2012 Prius Five with LED headlights does your beam pattern shake, vibrate, or dance when you drive over rough pavement? Like when you drive over cracks, potholes, rough pavement? I don't remember this in my 2010. I just find it annoying and wanted to make sure it just wasn't mine.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Can't say I ever noticed this. I also had a 2010 and never noticed it before as well. I'll look again during some night driving and see if it is that visible.

3. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't noticed this behavior on my Five. I haven't specifically looked for it- but I'm usually good at noticing rattles/vibrations, etc... and I'm sure I would have noticed an annoying trait like that.

4. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    We have two 2010 V's and have not noticed headlight shaking.

5. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I notice it and it's rather annoying to watch the beam bounce. This is only when I am driving close to the car in front where I can really see the cutoff. Otherwise if I'm just driving on the road and nothing in front of me nothing since I can't see the cutoff.

6. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Nope. I drive through 6 miles of unlid, pot hole filled, two lane country road to get home everynight and have not noticed it. I usually do not use the high beam either.

I wonder if there is something wrong with your auto level mechanism. Do you have a warning light on your dashboard that looks like a lowbeam symbol + up down arrows?

7. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have seen the auto level work. It moves up or down depending on the load when I turn on the headlights. I only see it when I can get a good view of the cutoff on the car in front of me and I happen to drive over a crack or rough pavement.

8. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The auto leveling works when you first turn on the car to adjust for the weight in the car -- it should then lock. If yours is bouncing then something is wrong.

9. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to the Toyota dealer tonight to test drive another Five. It did the same thing. Its slight and you have to really look for it. Eh, I won't worry about it too much now since the one I drove did the same thing.

10. BearInStPete

BearInStPete Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'll throw in a couple of pennies worth, on our new (as of 7/11) model 5 I seemed to notice a slight vibration in the beam, but I think it is more noticeable due to the sharp demarcation of the top edge of the beam pattern with these headlights. Similar vibration and shake may be present with the halogen system, but I suspect it is more difficult to notice?