1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 prius five LED headlights

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by eth700, Sep 23, 2013.

1. eth700

eth700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Everyone with the solar roof package seems to love it....I went with the 17's and LED's and I have to give some love to the headlights. They are very bright and especially in comparison to halogens there is no contest. Picture below is comparing a 2012 Chevy cruze lights to a 2012 prius

[​IMG]

2. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I guess I have the best of both worlds because I have a sunroof, and put in H I D headlights. Could not be happier with both. ;)

3. eth700

eth700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Nice what kind of lights did u put in? I haven't seen a better looking light than the oem LEDs. I was going to get the roof but then I remembered I'd only use it three days out of the year in Minnesota

4. Onex Prius

Onex Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm impress with the LED headlight on my Prius but Toyota cut short (cheap) by take out the Adaptive Front Lighting System.

5. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Given a choice of two out of three options, I'd take the LED headlights and 17" wheels. Nothing wrong with the Prius solar sun roof other than the price and weight. Impressed with Toyota going with LED headlights on some models. Very few cars offer them.

eth700 likes this.
  6. eth700

eth700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Good point and it wouldn't hurt if the high beams were led too

7. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a KLight HID kit, 6000k which I'm quite happy with.

I agree the LED is the wave of the future. They are not there yet in aftermarket headlight bulb kits though. Only stock LED lights that come with the car perform good.

They are becoming more and more prevalent. I think Mercedes headlights are LED now in addition to others.

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Yup, and you'll really love them when you burn out one and have to replace it. ;)

9. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's super simple to replace an HID bulb yourself and you can get them on places like Amazon for only $10. a pair. But even if I don't want to do it myself, the place I got my HID kit installed it for free, and also replaces bulbs for free too so I'm pretty much set either way.

10. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I traded in my 2012 Five for the 2012 PIP, the two things I miss not having in the PIP are:
    1) LED headlights
    2) Power adjust Softex seats

The Prius Five OEM LED headlight's are top notch!

Jonny Zero and eth700 like this.
  11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    My comment was on the "wonderful" LED headlamp replacement cost. Check it out, but be sure you are sitting down!
    Yup, they are LEDs so they last a long time.
    Yup, they are technology and -some- WILL burn out or fail!

12. eth700

eth700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    David. Way to crap in the punch bowl. I take it you don't have led's? Obviously upgrades are going to be more expensive to replace but I'm sure those with the lights are happy to have them. I suppose the 7 inch screen is a negative as well because it is more expensive to replace than the 6?

13. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I rented a Prius V before I purchased my Persona. I find that the LED has a nice spread due to 4 projecters. In terms of lumens though, my HID retrofit worked out great. I would go as to say the HID are actually brighter. It's a nice compromise for those who don't want to buy a V.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are 2 projectors and a "wide angle" LED floodlamp? (That's changed with the 2012 Prius but I'm not sure if the Prius v got rid of the floodlamp as well).

True but given that they're not used very often, it won't be worth the cost. In the future, it's possible they may do away with the high beams and go with a dual setup LED where the light physically moved. Some HID setups are used this way (known as "bi-xenon headlights" in the brochure). Those vehicles still require a halogen high beam for the "flash-to-pass" function but an LED setup won't require a separate high beam for "flash-to-pass".

That's true, especially in 2009. Now even Honda offers them on the Accord (at least in Canada).

I have MobileHID lights in mine (they went out of the car lighting business soon after I bought mine and are now solely distributing lighting for heavy duty vehicles like construction equipment). They're still running fine and I chose 5000K as the colour temperature - somewhere between the brightest (4300K) and "crystal white" (6000K). The Prius halogen projectors are pretty good (though I think my smart's H7 projectors are a bit better in brightness and lighting distribution) but that is until you see the LEDs on the V/Five. The cool factor also went up in 2012 when Toyota added LED parking lights in a boomerang-ish shape to create a distinctive front lighting design.

I live further north than you and I use the solar roof often (it does get over 80°F in the summer).

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius: HID Retrofit > OEM LEDs > HID kit in halogen housing > OEM halogens.

:)

16. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I guess I'd agree with this. Although the stock halogen projector housing on Prius is particularly well-suited for HID bulbs. There is no spillover like you see with some people putting in HID bulbs in their reflector headlight housings and the beam spilling all over and blinding everyone.

17. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. Although there is noticeable upwards bowing of the edges. Still much much better than reflectors based housing which are a big no no. :)

18. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The early 2010 Vs are going on 4 years old now. Are there any reports of replacements needed due to anything other than collisions?

SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 ? 2

19. eth700

eth700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'd like to know this too considering I better be standing up when I hear the replacement cost for the led's I'm learning very quickly how passionate Prius owners are if someone doesn't have led headlights then of course they are not worth it.

20. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I was referring to Prius Package Five not V as in Wagon.