1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius head gasket repair - Olympia WA

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by CoryC916, Dec 24, 2021.

1. CoryC916

CoryC916 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pretty sure my Prius is showing all the signs of needing the head gasket replaced, 160K miles. I have followed all the online tips for the shaking, I still have lots of power when driving and it does not hesitate but I can feel it when cruising that it is not running 100%. I completely cleaned the EGR system including taking apart the valve and checking the plunger operation, cleared codes, before codes cleared there has been no check engine light on, although there was stored codes for misfire on 1,3,4. I have very little oil consumption, maybe 1/4 of a quart between oil changes and the oil use is more recent before there was none. No visible loss of coolant that I can tell, shaking still on startup, unplugged EGR valve to test if it was bad, shaking subsided a little but is still there, assuming the EGR valve will also need replacing. Is there anyone in the Olympia area that has replaced their head gasket and would like to tackle fixing my car, I live out on the coast by Westport and should be able to get the car to Olympia. I think the car is worth fixing I just do not have the time or indoor space to pull an engine and get it back right again. Any recommendations are appreciated

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm in Olympia area and Terry's Automotive in West Olympia does them for $1500. They have a great reputation among my friends.

I also have a friend with a 2012 Prius who wants me to do their head gasket and I love working on battery packs / hybrid system and fixing up old Prius to look like new, but have been on the fence about investing in tools and getting as good at doing head gaskets as I am with hybrid systems.

I suspect I could do the job for around $1K and have done enough research to find a machine shop to service the head if necessary. My main concern if I'm super uptight/meticulous about doing everything perfectly and refining the tools & techniques each time I do it and seems like quite the rabbit hole to go down. Get in touch if you want to talk more?

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you clean the intake manifold as well, in particular the small diameter (1/4"~) EGR passages, one per port?

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. CoryC916

CoryC916 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, I pulled the manifold and soaked it in Purple Power and cleaned the egr passages, they were not all the way plugged but for sure needed cleaning.

5. CoryC916

CoryC916 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you for the offer, I have watched on youtube the guys out of Cali, Gasket Masters videos for replacing the gasket, it is quite straight forward and I am sure I could do it, I run the transportation garage for our school district, I just do not have the time to get it done. After looking at how many people need their cars fixed, it might not be a bad idea for you to invest in the tools and offer that service, especially where you are I bet you would stay busy, Gasket Master guys can do the change out in about 3 hours now apparently which is pretty impressive, pretty sure 2 people though.
    We actually have a friend who I was talking to about fixing it and told him I was thinking of taking it to a garage in Oly and he said which one? Terry's? I said they were recommended and he said he worked there out of high school back in the day and they were one of the best in town. I had already ordered a new EGR valve so when it gets here I am going to change that out and probably trailer the car over to Terry's so as not to cause any more damage just in case. When I have any battery problems I will look you up for sure to help.
    Thank again.