1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius Hybrid Battery Failure

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by vucats, Jan 24, 2017.

1. vucats

vucats New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So, first of all, this is my first post and if this is in the wrong place I apologize.

I bought a 2012 certified pre owned Prius 3 from a dealership on Friday evening. 71k miles, great condition, good warranty, and I live in a CARB state so I'm set for a while on the battery. Two days later, on Sunday afternoon, I got a "Hybrid System Warning" message, the dashboard lit up, and my weekend was ruined. I took it into my local Toyota dealership (not the one where I purchased the car), and got word that I needed a new hybrid battery. The work has since been done and I'm planning on picking it up after work today. But now I have so many questions.

This seems really early for a battery to fail, any idea what might be the cause of such an early failure on a gen 3 battery?

The dealership where I purchased the car stated that there was no indication on their end when they did the certified inspection that the battery was about to fail... this seems hard to believe, but I'm also very ignorant when it comes to cars. Is there any chance they're telling the truth, or did they knowingly sell the car in this condition?

Assuming there are no other lingering issues with the vehicle, what kind of life expectancy should I expect from my replacement battery? Any different than the original one?

Thanks!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Firstly, You have a new battery!

Secondly, it is early and there is some chance the dealer just charged Toyota for a battery you did not need. I am not sure that is under your control. I suspect it had been sitting and the 12 volt battery was low, confusing the computers, which are 12 volt powered. If it recurs, swap the 12 battery, Toyota has one with an 82 month warranty.

Thirdly, lets pretend that on average Hybrid batteries last 200,000 miles. It is still true some will fail before and some after. The press highlights taxis with 500,000 miles; but that does not prevent your battery from only making it 71,000.

Fouthly, You have a new Battery!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    yes, very unusual. no, there is no way of knowing if the battery will fail tomorrow. unfortunately, we'll never know for sure, but if dealers are returning good batteries to the factory, i suspect that toyota would catch on, but who knows?
    unfortunately, you now have a 3 year warranty, but a new battery should serve you well into the future. all the best!(y)

#3 bisco, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @vucats Can you post a pic of the paperwork, in particular if the codes are are listed?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. vucats

vucats New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can try to post a picture tonight or tomorrow. I haven't seen the paperwork or codes they pulled yet, I'll get it when I pick up my car tonight.
    Whoa whoa... So originally I had ~5 years and ~80k miles left on my hybrid warranty. Are you saying that this means now I only get 3 more years? Seems like a pretty horrible policy if so.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i believe that's the case, but i may be thinking of people who are out of warranty. you can call and check, or perhaps someone here can correct me.

7. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If indeed a simple failure and not an indication of other issue with the car -- I owed be happy.

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yep, nothing better than starting over with a brand spanking new battery.

9. vucats

vucats New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update: code P0A80. Two cells failed and a "large amount of debris in the blower motor". They replaced the battery and put a filter in the blower. All covered under warranty.

The dealership stated that my original hybrid warranty is still in effect.

m.wynn and bisco like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!(y)

i never think of a clogged blower fan for some reason. not really a battery defect.

11. Lakshan

Lakshan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I got the same issue today. Now these indicators are in my screen and also hybrid system also now working. Still finding a solution

Attached Files: