1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius Mid-Cycle Refresh Official Photos Released

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We just got our grubby hands on 51 official photos of the 2012 Prius mid-cycle refresh. Many of the details we scooped back in late August are on display in the photos below. We also have a press release from Toyota Europe on the changes coming for the 2012 model down at the bottom of this post. Keep in mind that this is specific to the European market, so the US may not see all of these new features. We should have official US information at a press event later this week. Update: US Photos are now included in the Album below. Enjoy! 2012 Prius Refresh Official Photo Album Here's a taste of a few of the images - view the rest by clicking the link above. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Press release from Toyota Europe:
    The new Prius features a new, more dynamic frontal treatment. The revised front bumper design places the emphasis on an enlarged lower grille, in keeping with the new face of the next generation Toyota family. A new, clear lens headlamp design features a revised LED lamp configuration, and daytime running lights have been incorporated in the bumper. The door mirrors now have a power-folding function, the rear combination lamps have been redesigned and the new Prius is also equipped with new 15” wheel design. On board, the sensorial quality of the Prius interior has been raised through a change of colour scheme from dark grey to black, the addition of silver inserts and an upholstery upgrade. The centre console design has been revised, and the push start button colour changed to hybrid blue. The multi-information display has been improved with a 16 gradation-step Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) which gives a clearer and more three-dimensional display, and driving support functions now include an EV indicator lamp.​

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nice, the MID has 16 shades of "gray" now. The original GameBoy only had 4 shades of gray. :D

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same crummy flying bridge?

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm ok w/the changes to the front but the taillights are weird to me. I think I like the 2010-2011 taillights better.

5. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm not sure this qualifies as a "refresh".... If you aren't a Prius owner you wouldn't even notice a difference.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can agree with that. But considering the differences between the 2005 and refreshed 2006 Prius, I wasn't expecting much.

7. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not totally clear what a refresh is. Is it minor changes without calling it a new generation?

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Basicly. Mostly cosmetic stuff, with maybe slight changes in options. It's done to keep interest up in a model between generations.

1 person likes this.
  9. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

MMC is minor modification change aka Facelift... nip and tuck basically... some minor changes to interior, exterior, new features and sometimes some suspension and engine work, depending on the vehicle.

1 person likes this.
  10. SureValla

SureValla Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    so if this is a mid-cycle refresh 2 years in can we expect complete refresh 4 years in (2014)

11. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Who knows... the Gen II was refreshed in 2006 (Gen II came out 2004) and then the Gen III didn't come out until 2010. So the Gen II ran a 6 year life with its 'mid cycle refresh' coming 2 years in.

12. green4u

green4u New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like this refresh. The front face finally has a full, complete look. The design is not contrived and its lines don't clash. The taillights look similar to, if not better than, the Valenti aftermarket lights.

These changes are much more significant than the Gen II refresh in 2006, for all of you comparing.

13. volt_killa

volt_killa volt_killa #ItsATealPrius OPTLMUS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    looks like an LED strip on the top of the headlight and more LEDs below the front turn signals...

14. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Yeah, looks like the parking bulb has been replaced with the strip of LEDs on the top of the headlamp assembly and the LEDs below the turn signals are apparently LED daytime running lamps going on the European models specs.

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Agreed. The front looks better than some of the body kit.

16. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I really like the new taillights but too bad they're still not full LED like the Valenti lights.

I agree. They did an excellent job with this refresh.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The front end looks sportier. Too bad they're moving away from the leaf car design. Now the EV Drive Mode button is a plain EV MODE script.

18. jyoungprius

jyoungprius Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Exactly why I traded my 2005 Prius for a 2009 Prius 5 days after official interior photos of the 2010 Prius were released back in January 2009.:confused:

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm as much for LED's as the next person. They're great for the fridge ... headlights, R-30 cans ... tail lights ... etc . . . but every BMW / audi / lambo etc has gone gaah-gaah over them like so many Christmas decorations. They justify them as being 'DLR's". Ridiculous. At this rate, soon they'll be hanging led's like dingle-berries from my you know what. Sorry for the tangent, but the insurance agency stats show DLR's are no more effective than adding noise to cars in stealth mode. It simply adds more 'noise' ... (be it visual or audible) to an already too noisy world.
    This has been a public service announcement.
    :behindsofa:

20. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have updated the photo album with 32 additional images from Toyota. Sorry I didn't get these up sooner!

1 person likes this.