1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius Oil Change Door And Under Cover Splash Clips

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Siward, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I need the part numbers for the clips for the engine oil change door and if possible the clip part numbers for the entire under cover splash. Does anyone know? I own a 2012 Toyota Prius Touring (Canadian).

I found a link for the 2010, but I think there were some design differences for the 2012.
    Plastic push pins (replacement) DIY oil change | PriusChat

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The parts number for the engine underpanel and the clips are in the attached Technical Service Bulletin. There's basically two clip styles, for panel to car connection. The majority are "type 3" in the attachment, and there's a couple of "type 5", at the so-called oil change door. The latter (at least on mine) have grey coloured heads, and they're slightly larger pins.

There's also a couple of "type 4" fasteners. These are internal to the engine underpanel, connecting plastic-to-plastic. I think you need to remove them if you're using the "oil change door"? Since I'm never doing that, I don't pay them much attention; they're just along for the ride.

I'd estimate I've had my (original) engine panel off close to 20 times now: with 14 oil changes, and a few other instances of late, Oil Catch Can install, EGR cleaning, etcetera. In that time I've never used the so-called oil change access door, just removed the whole panel.

Also, I always wash the fasteners out with hot soapy water, floats the grit out of them. Keeping the fasteners grit-free, they stay like new quite a while. I believe I might have changed one or two of the type 3: fuzzy memory, I've got a pack with 2~3 replacements kicking around in the glove box, but can't recall buying it lol.

Attached Files:

#2 Mendel Leisk, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  3. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you. My clips are starting to break (especially the oil change door ones).

4. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The larger clip for the oil change door looks different for my 2012 prius. It is probably different from the one in the bulletin.

It is too cold to jack up my car, otherwise I can take it off to get a picture.

5. KeystoneKid

KeystoneKid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mendel,

I have a regular model 2012 Prius. I will soon be changing out the transmission fluid, PCV valve, engine and inverter coolant following the excellent information and videos NutsAboutBolts provides and your valuable posts. My problem is the retainer clips for the under engine cover assy. I have contacted several dealerships only to become more and more confused because they have conflicts in part numbers and quantity. One parts guys was very rude and said he didn't give out P/N's.This is also after they had my VIN. Are the P/N's you have in the 2010 TSB you list here the same for a 2012? I hope that is gold because it is becoming quite frustrating, not to mention the cost of said parts.One dealership wants $27USD for a gallon of Toyota coolant that is diluted 50/50. Crazy when you consider you are only getting 1/2 coolant and 1/2 water. Sorry I digress here. I do have the following P/N's and hope they will work for my project:

PCV Valve (Toyota) P/N 12204-37010 $12USD
    Crush gaskets for transmission and inverter coolant plugs (3 each) P/N: 90430-18008 $3USD each
    Toyota Coolant 50/50 gallon $27USD
    Toyota ATF WS Quart $16USD

Lastly if I may, how far off the ground (my concrete garage floor) do you raise the car. For instance from the under engine cover to the floor? Thank you so much in advance!!

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah it’s mostly type 3, and a couple of type 5, the latter at the back end. Qty of type 3 per the pdf attached to my prev post.

I ordered through Amayama, cheaper, shipped from Japan or UAE. From that order:

IMG_3657.jpeg

#6 Mendel Leisk, Mar 22, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
  7. KeystoneKid

KeystoneKid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mendel,

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I really appreciate it!

Mendel Leisk likes this.