1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius Two steering wheel trip/display functions w/ aftermarket HU

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Pat Eason, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Pat Eason

Pat Eason New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've installed a new headunit (thanks to the great guide here) and new speakers into my 2012 Prius Two. As I've replaced the stock HU, the steering wheel controls have been nixed as I expected but it doesn't kill me, I didn't use the steering wheel audio controls much to begin with. What I did use a lot was the trip computer and the eco monitors on the MID. From what I've seen on Metra's site, the ASWC will work with the 202 Prius, but it only mentions audio functions and climate control, nothing about the MID functions. I've seen a few 2010/11 installs but not much on whether the MID functions continue to work with an ASWC or PAC interface. Anyone have any insight into this, or a guide on how to get them to work or what to buy for it? Any help would be appreciated.

2. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    from what know, the trip stuff is not available, but the audio controls on the steering wheel should all be useable with just a few extra components.

3. Pat Eason

Pat Eason New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's what I figured. When I took in the car for it's first maintenance appointment the technicians threw a fit about not being able to change the trip setting to tripA so they could reset the maintenance record. I wonder if you could just remove the mainboard of the factory headunit and connect the controls to that instead along with an aftermarket stereo. I'll give that a try when I put the aftermarket back in.

4. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. Pat Eason

Pat Eason New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I checked those threads and the 2012 only has one 20 pin connector that I saw. I installed the aftermarket HU again today and while doing that I played with using the stock HU with different combinations of harnesses plugged in. The controls work with a 28 pin connector plugged even if no other harnesses are plugged in. I haven't installed a SWI yet and don't intend to if I can just get the right side controls working.

6. ajtozzi

ajtozzi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 2012 does have the MFD/trip computer SW controls running through the head unit. You can retain both SW audio control and MFD/trip computer functionality by installing a PAC or Metra SW adaptor.

The instructions for the 2012 Prius are not listed on PAC's website but the instructions for the 2012 Corolla are the same and do work.

I don't have the link handy but go to PAC's website, click on the link for SW control instructions and enter the 2012 Corolla w base audio.

If you want to get the controls working without using an SW adaptor you will need to ground a wire in the 20 pin connector. I can look this up for you tomorrow if you're really interested.

Any questions let me know. I just did my '12 Prius two a few months ago.

7. Pat Eason

Pat Eason New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That would be perfect, ajtozzi. I'm not very interested in the audio controls but I would like the right side controls to continue working. If you could tell me which pin to ground and how you did it that would be great.