1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 prius v no start after shorted WP relay

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Golfcartprius, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Golfcartprius

Golfcartprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hello, hoping someone can assist me with this issue I created.

I was testesting my 2012 prius V electric water pump by jumping the relay and I jumped the wrong 2 of the relay causing a short in the system.

I noticed a new orange light on the top right and I believe it is check hybrid system light. I then test drove it around the block and the gas engine never started and I ran the battery all the way down to 1 bar. Pushed it back home in neutral.

I have code P0100 which seems tonhave lost communication and the hybrid check system light on and will not start. I have good 12v battery POWER and I have checked all the fuses under the hood and all look to be good.

Any advice what I to-do from here?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    When asking for help, detail why you were doing what you were doing. What was wrong in the first place? It may still be the issue with one more problem added.

It would help to know exactly which pins of what relay were jumped. Perhaps a picture. Obviously you could have blown a fuse, fusible link or module. I suspect one of the the first two.

There are fusible links as well as fuses and they can not be removed easily. A visual inspection or voltage check using a diagram is better. Jumping things without a diagram and solid understanding of the circuit is asking for trouble.

I would check for voltage on both sides of the wp fuse. That fuse is fed by a 125amp fusible link buried inside the fuse box. It is unlikely the car would have moved with it blown but a simple voltage check would tell the story.

Otherwise a tow to a dealer for diagnosis is advised. You have very little hv battery left and you don't want to get to a position where it is totally discharged. Then it has to be worked on as well.

6F7AA96C-7A4E-40FF-812F-EB3AFFCF8B7A.jpeg

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My guess is going to be that the pins jumped were 1 and 2, and now the 20 amp EFI MAIN fuse is less good than it looks. But that's just a guess, pending the OP saying what pins were really jumped.