1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius v - poor fuel economy from 0-20 mph

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Alpha4, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Alpha4

Alpha4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    2012 Prius V Five, 90k miles. Starting last week (rather abruptly) I noticed my mpg starting from a dead stop (0) up to 20 mph is pretty bad - showing anywhere from 6-10 mpg on the display. Never seen numbers this low. Once the electric motor kicks in, all is back to normal. Haven't noticed reduced fuel economy at highway speeds. No warning lights on the dash.

I cleaned the MAF to see if it would help - no improvement. Next will be new spark plugs, as it's probably time according to the manual (still on the original ones - car build date is late 2011). Anything else I should check?

Also, wondering if it could be the HV battery dying? My hypothesis is that it isn't helping the motor as much from a stop and at lower speeds...but no idea if this is a possibility.

#1 Alpha4, Aug 21, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Has the inverter motor generator ECU re-flash TSB been accomplished?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not something i have evr paid attention to. i would suggest measring mpg's by the tankful, so your imagination doesn't get the best of you

Alpha4 and PriusCamper like this.
  4. Alpha4

Alpha4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No, received the TSB but never took the car in for it. Good thought, as I have heard that others have experienced drop in fuel economy afterwards.

5. Alpha4

Alpha4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, best not to entirely trust the mpg gauge on the dash. That said, the engine really feels like it is laboring hard from 0-15 mph (it's making that awful droning sound from the engine/transmission that you get when going up a steep hill), so I'm inclined to believe it's burning more fuel too.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe normal? When accelerating your mpg will momentarily dip way down; that’s natural.

I wouldn’t pay much attention to the moment-by-moment mpg; overall consumption by the tank, calculated, is more important.

Alpha4 likes this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    During acceleration, especially at low speed, instantaneous MPG necessarily must be low. And that generally doesn't matter. Figures that matter are your MPGs for a full trip, or round trip, or steady cruising speed after engine warm-up, or between fuel tank refills.

Mendel Leisk and Alpha4 like this.
  8. Alpha4

Alpha4 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Absolutely - getting 3,400 lbs of car moving from a dead stop is going to require more energy, no question there. I've owned the car for 8 years and I've never seen instantaneous mpg reading that low, and the engine sounds like it's laboring much harder than usual. As you and others have suggested, I'll keep a log over the next few tanks to see how it plays out. Thanks for the advice!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you cleaned the egr circuit yet?

10. TheLastMojojomo

TheLastMojojomo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did anything happen preceding this like a dead 12v or maintenance of some sort?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes. He probably accidentally pushed a button so that is shows instantaneous gas mileage instead of average.
    Sounds perfectly normal to me.

12. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    We saw no degradation in fuel economy after the reflash. 42mpg before and after.

13. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am an uber driver, and I reset the avg MPG for every shift. I get pretty poor MPG (for a Prius) because of that fantastically powerful AC unit, and a lot of time idling waiting for passengers to come out.

I had the reflash done a few months ago, and then did 8 hours of Uber driving. I normally get in the mid 30's, but after the reflash I got into the high 40's (average). Same driving, same AC on. Then it all went back to normal the next day and I refilled the gas tank. I assume the MPG calculation was not accurate for the first tankful after the reflash.