1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 "SETTINGS" for Fuel consumption on each fuel up?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by priusbee, Dec 11, 2012.

1. priusbee

priusbee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What do you guys do on each fuel up?
    Sometime, you have 2 bars or 3 bars left in the fuel tank. What do you do?
    How does that come into the computer calculation?
    I would like to hear from you folks on using this and if you know it, explains how all that calculation works when it display that information when we look at the consumption and usage.

Essentially, I would like to know the proper procedure entering the information on each fuel up, so it is correct when displaying the fuel consumption.

Thanks!

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am not sure I understand what you are asking. My Prius uses the volume of fuel in the fuel injector to calculate MPG, not any reading from the pump.

If you are wanting a third party MPG tracker, I use Fuelly.com

3. HprDad

HprDad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What many folks do, myself included, is to reset one of the trip odometers at each fuel up, which makes for a convenient MPG calculation for that tank. The cumulative monthly fuel usage runs automatically, with no settings required at each fillup. I don't bother with the cost per gallon setting that pops up after a fillup, it is only for comparing costs to another car.

4. theotherone

theotherone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I basically "zero-out" the Trip A and Trip B settings every time I fill up my tank. I generally like to know what my average MPG are out of each tank & how many miles I get out of each tank.

5. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For the last few tanks, I have driven my 2010 Prius about 70 - 100 miles after the first beep and about 30-60 miles after MTE=zero and the last bar on the MFD is flashing. The first beep normally occurs between 430-630 miles(about 9 gallons have been spent and about 2 gallons remains in the tank at the first beep). At each fillup I zero out Odometer Trip A, I zero out Odometer Trip B, I reset my first ScangaugeII fillup/fuel used & price per gallon, and I reset my second ScangaugeII fillup/fuel used & price per gallon. I write into my Prius' logbook all the information needed for my fuelly and cleanmpg mileage logs: gallons pumped, (Trip A/B ) mileage traveled, cost per gallon, type of fuel, average speed estimated.

priusbee likes this.