1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid - First Drive Review

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, May 10, 2010.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Back in the waning years of the previous millennium, the Toyota Prius was born, becoming the first Toyota hybrid. Since then, of course, many other Toyota and Lexus hybrids have hit the roads, as have many from nearly every other automaker. But it’s the Prius—thanks to distinct (if unsexy) styling and industry-leading fuel economy—that remains the unofficial greenmobile for Toyota and the world.

Naturally, then, the Prius is set to become the first Toyota to make the next big leap in fuel efficiency for 2012 by going plug-in with the new Prius PHV, or “plug-in hybrid vehicle.†And since 2012 is a long way off—in our impatient minds, at least—we jumped at the chance to drive one of the 150 powder-blue preproduction Prius PHVs bound for the U.S. in 2010. All are part of Toyota’s Prius PHV pilot program that places these vehicles with various utilities and government agencies to gather data on vehicle performance.

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid - First Drive Review - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

2. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not good.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not bad.

The Classic model took 12.5 seconds and I never had any trouble with highway merging.

4. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm just baffled why the PHEV Prius Lithium battery pack increased the vehicle weight by 330 pounds. Isn't the PHEV Prius battery pack only 5 Kw-hr?

A 'similar' 5 Kw-hr lithium battery pack from Hymotion only weighs 187 pounds. I don't know what the current NiMH Prius battery pack weighs - but a reasonable or conservative guess is that if you replaced the Prius NiMH battery pack with a 5 Kw-Hr Hymotion (A123 Systems LiFePO4) battery pack, the total vehicle weight should only increase about 100 pounds max. So why does the Toyota PHEV battery weight so much more than the A123 Systems/Hymotion solution? Different battery technology? Or did Toyota add a whole lot more cooling and structural support around the lithium batteries for safety reasons (than Hymotion)?
    Product Specifications

[​IMG]

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It is their first gen Lithium pack. They don't intend to use it for 2012 mass produced model. I hope the 2nd gen Lithium to be lighter, more range, less room and cost less.

6. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    after reading car and drivers other reviews of the prius.. i bet they left the car in B mode.. with the power option on...

i really don't care for their reviews.. how could anyone find the shift knob and park button to be difficult?....

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well remember part of it runs as a regular hybrid. I'm not sure how hymotion works if the car isn't plugged in

I also think Toyota's being very conservative with its range. The battery pack is much larger than Hymotion's yet only does 21km.

~0.5 sec slower than your Gen 2....still faster than a Jetta TDI, 1st gen Civic Hybrid, 1st Gen Prius and smart fortwo. Oh and it's about the same as a V6 Chevy Epica lol... slower than a Fit and Yaris though...

cause anything that doesn't have 1-2-3-4-5-R is hard.

8. F512M

F512M Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agree, they will improve.

9. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They just seemed really annoyed with the Prius, plug-in or standard!

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bet the first thing they tested was 0-60 and got disappointed. That probably set the tone of the rest of the article.

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In my own drive, I did notice that freeway acceleration was indeed slower. EV only acceleration is quicker off the line.

According to the Toyota-University guy, the packs combined are good for 3kWh, but I don't have anything in writing to validate that.

12. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Why Can't Toyota's Plug-In Prius Recharge Its Larger Battery?

Why Can't Toyota's Plug-In Prius Recharge Its Larger Battery? - All Cars Electric

Anyone know the answer to this? Does NiMH accept faster charging rates than LiIon?
    (But, gee, my Li-Ion iPhone rapid charges the first ~80 of every charge, then slows to top off the final 20%)

Can someone familiar with this subject of the Prius regen not charging the Li-Ion please shed some light on this? Thank you.

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I assume that you're referring to this part :
    The answer is simple really. It's simply untrue, that's why. The new PHEV prius does regenerate perfectly well into the LiIon battery packs.

Yes there is a limitation that it can only regen into the currently selected pack, but YTF people always want to exaggerate any perceived weakness when it come to the Prius is beyond me. Somehow people are all too ready to distort things or blow them out of proportion with anything Prius.

BTW. Toyota have stated that they implemented it this way to make the individual battery pack operation more independent and therefore more reliable.

14. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is also added weight in the back for the upgraded suspension.

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The author made mistakes with the specs. He corrected the NiMH number but not the Lithium main pack number. I sent him a reply already. Basically,

Lithium: 1.73 kWh x 0.6 = 1.04 kWh (usable)
    NiMH: 1.31 kWh x 0.4 = 0.52 kWh (usable)

As you can see, PHV Prius in hybrid mode can store about twice more energy in hybrid mode than a regular Prius.

Since the PHV main pack (for HV mode) is bigger than NiMH, it should be able to absorb more regen faster.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do we know the front and rear weight ratio for PHV Prius? It should be closer to 50/50.

17. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Wait until they remove the engine for the "City" Prius in a few years. :D
    It will do wheelies!

1 person likes this.