1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012V hybrid light; engine light; 11 mph no gas engaged; What could be the matter?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Kar Tee, Feb 10, 2022.

1. Kar Tee

Kar Tee New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm new to this forum. In the middle of the night my Prius alarm sounded. It went off on its own. Today I tried driving with check engine and hybrid warning. After learning I would be only in ev at 11mph max and without pedal gas action I went home and parked. I read, check the fuses, check the gas cap, leave it to sit and turn it back on. And I came inside to check on forums while waiting for the mechanic who is an hour north through a mountainous canyon to return my call. It is likely she is too swamped to fiddle with this.
    What might be wrong? Could it be someone tampered with my car triggering the alarm? There are auto thieves in abundance around here. My AGM battery is 2020. could it be as simple as this?
    Thank you for reading and considering my trouble. Karen

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Knowing the ownership, repair history and mileage helps. If you just bought this car the situation may be different than if you owned the car since new. Knowing if certain major repairs have been performed often eliminates common faults. Location also helps because a forum member may recommend a good shop in your area.

The ev speed is normal, however you may be suggesting the gas engine never started. There are several possible problems but anyone here would be simply guessing at this point. If it is driving in EV mode, you must be in Ready and I would think you would have heard the engine try to start after a few seconds. Normally the cold engine will start and run for a few minutes to warm up. Detailing what you hear and see gives people in another state a better picture of your situation.

The hybrid light is concerning but I would check my 12v voltage first to ensure its not too low. Normally it should be above 12v BEFORE you go into the Ready mode. After going to Ready the car's charging system (~14v) will be what you are measuring. Accessory or On modes are one or two presses of the power button without depressing the Brake pedal.

What you hope is low 12v battery voltage is causing alarms and lights. Low is really below 11vdc. A battery maintainer like the Battery Tender Jr ($29 at Walmart) is one diy charger that is safe to use. Never jump a Prius with jumper cables as one second of reversed polarity means a tow and much expense.

After checking the 12v in the On mode (possible from the radio head unit), a code reader is needed. For most hybrid codes a more advanced reader is best as cheap readers may not show all codes. Resetting current codes is often a diagnostic step but recording them first is important. Some free repairs from Toyota require certain codes to be observed by the dealer. Clearing them can be counterproductive in these cases.

Many mechanics know little about a hybrid system. Ask before letting them spend hours. Often a Toyota dealer is the best for diagnostics. There are a couple of hybrid problems they will fix for free so bypassing a dealer when you have hybrid indicators can be foolish. But find an independent hybrid mechanic if costly issues are found to save money.

Check back with diagnostic results and codes if any shop wants big money.

Reading 12vdc battery voltage:
    Prius v Display Audio Service Menu w Battery Check | PriusChat

(Note: This forum requires five moderated posts before your responses are quickly displayed. The moderators check once a day most of the time so one strategy is to post four answers separately to get past the forum issue while your car issue is still a problem with options.)

#2 rjparker, Feb 11, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    Tim Jones, jerrymildred and Air_Boss like this.