1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Avalon Hybrid?

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by mmcdonal, Apr 2, 2012.

1. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have been seeing teases of the 2013 Calty designed Avalon, and I have seen the articles mention a hybrid power train. Toyota teased that it would get better mileage than a Fiat 500.

I guess we will find out during the NY auto show 4/4-4/6. IF Toyota does this, it is the answer to my prayers. I have been waiting for this car since I purchased my J-code Camry Hybrid in 2007. I thrashed around with the idea of the v, but I just want that large sedan. The redesign is supposed to be less Buick/geezer friendly.

1 person likes this.
  2. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you are on to something here. I guess that was a hint that an Avalon Hybrid is coming. I think the Camry Hybrid's powertrain should be offered on other Toyota cars and small SUVs. Maybe they can optimize it for the Avalon and get a 40mpg combined.

Compare Side-by-Side

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It has to be a hybrid powertrain. I don't think Toyota will bring a diesel over for a car that isn't selling like hotcakes. It's also easy to import the TCH's HSD system into the Avalon. I assume the Avalon has lost a bit of weight in the process or Toyota isn't gunning for 40mpg in the Avalon (where 35mpg would suffice).

The Avalon needs some more features to distinguish it from the Camry. As it stands, it really is just its sheer size that it has over the Camry XLE V6.

4. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, I guess Toyota has decided to kill the Avalon. They are only offering it with a V6. So you can get a Camry Hybrid, or a Lexus ES 300h - on the same platform as the new Avalon, but no Avalon hybrid. So much for going after a younger market with the Avalon. And I bet they still have not resolved the throttle lag in that V6. Oh well, I guess I'll see what Ford and Lincoln are doing with hybrid powertrains in the Fusion and MKZ. At least they know how to stay out of the geezer market. Goodbye Avalon dreams.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Toyota just fears the Bull. :)

The Chrysler 300 has a highway economy of 31mpg with the new transmission.
    The Taurus can be ordered with the 2.0L ecoboost now. Numbers aren't released, but the base V6 has a slight edge over the Avalon on the highway.
    The 2014 Impala out next year is going to be offered with an eAssist 4 cylinder.

Toyota has something else planned, or is abandoning the segment. Perhaps they feel they can steer more potential Avalon buyers to Lexus.

6. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'll go with that assessment, TB. I saw the new Impala. It actually looks pretty good. The last one I owned was a 327 SS, so probably a little different animal now. =)

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Err, what? Just because an Avalon Hybrid wasn't revealed doesn't mean it's not in the pipelines. The Double Projector Ellipsoid System headlights, while HIDs on the display model seem well setup for LED headlights too..

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Doesn't have to be a hybrid to get LEDs, but yes, a hybrid is still possible. That might be Toyota's something else. Though, even a Taurus one is still possible at this point. There was some speculation about an Avalon hybrid going on that I wasn't sure was coming from.

I don't think we'll see a hybrid one in the near future. US sales of the Avalon are less than 10% of Camry sales. I don't know for sure, but that likely also holds true for the rest of the world. It is no longer sold in Japan. Sales of a hybrid version would low, and likely not worth the expense to bring to market.

The Highlander hybrid sells at low numbers, but is in a totally different segment, and the Lexus RShs sell well. The Avalon does share the same platform as the new Camry and Lexus ES. That would lower the costs of making a hybrid one. But with the new Camry hybrid just out, and the new ES hybrid coming, Toyota not want to divert hybrid components from them at this time.

A hybrid is still possible. I just don't think it will be here next year, if ever. The ES sells roughly 2 to 1 over the Avalon. With the ES as the hybrid, they can shift some more sales to it. Phasing the Avalon out might be Toyota's ultimate goal.

9. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Exactly, TB. When they announced the new ES, they announced the Hybrid variant. Why not the same with the Avalon? Point is, they could get more sales of the Avalon with a hybrid, but they don't get enough sales of the Avalon, so won't make it a hybrid. See the circular reasoning there?

Plus, the margin on the Avalon is much smaller than on the ES, so why not push buyers to the higher margin vehicle? Oh well, the MKZ and Fusion hybrid are looking better and better. I think the MKZ will still be at a lower price point than the ES. Plus that new Predator grill on all the Lexii is fugly.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True but so far, it's been a hybrid-exclusive for Toyota vehicles. The speculation stemmed from the comment that the Avalon would get better mpg than a Fiat 500.

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I've read about the Avalon, it has captured the Buick market, so much so, that buick isn't even going to compete against it:D It doesn't look like toyota wants to confuse their older customers with a hybrid choice in the avalon this year.:eek:

Not sure about that margin. Toyota looks like its going to kill the lexus hs250. The ES is an obvious choice, as it likely takes no work to just drop in the new camry hybrid option.

12. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would have to pay about $10K more to get the ES hybrid, rather than an Avalon hybrid. I would pay less than the ES price to get an MKZ hybrid. Shame, I would order an Avalon hybrid this morning if they made one. I want THAT car. I just can't see driving that around with their V6, which has terrible lag problems, and will get me about 20mpg combined. I have signed up for ES updates, but Lexus dealers are so rapacious around here.

Actually, after looking at price estimates for the ES, it looks like it would cost about $50K to get a hybrid version. So that kills that whole plan, too. Toyota better announce its intentions with the Avalon re: hybrid or not, soon, or I will end up getting the Fusion hybrid next season, which looks pretty damn sharp (even though it looks like it has a smaller back seat than the Avalon.) *gnashing teeth, rending hair*