1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013, difficulty starting -bad brake switch?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kayak999, Apr 14, 2023.

1. kayak999

kayak999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This seems like the earlier P-Lock issue has returned in the 3rd Gen. Now its apparently known as the "neutral safety switch" issue although dealers don't seem versed in it. Just began recently on my 2013 Prius. Press the start button and the dreaded triangle comes on, along with the little slip indicator right above it. The "Ready" light does not appear. When this happens, various activities seem to start the car. Shut it down, wait for all the dash lights to go out then try to restart. OR while the lights are on, mash down on the brake several times OR sit with the lights on, take your foot off brake, wait then hit the brake once. We've used all of these things to get the ready light to appear and the car will then go into gear. I'm thinking the brake light switch but I am not sure I can replace this myself. Opinions?

2. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How old is your auxiliary (12V) battery?

Start your trouble shooting process by measuring the voltage of the auxiliary battery at the battery terminals in the back and also at the jump point up front under the terminal box cover under the hood. What are you readings?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

CR94 likes this.