1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Front end creaking noise at slow speed turning?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by c3 rolling, Jan 27, 2015.

1. c3 rolling

c3 rolling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi guys,

My 2013 with 40k miles has a "creaking" noise from the front of vehicle while doing slow speed turns like parking maneuvers, sounds like joints that need oil. It is a lot more prevalent when it is cold outside or if the vehicle is cold. It seems to go away after a bit of driving also. It sounded like it's coming from the front suspension? I can only hear it while turning the wheel. I took it to the dealer and they said that it was normal and just " Electric power steering noise" and it is common. My Venza has electric steering and it does not do this nor do I recall the Prius doing it when I first bought the car. Anyone else have this issue?

#1 c3 rolling, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've never heard it, is it the same with windows down or up?

3. c3 rolling

c3 rolling Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I can hear it with the windows up.

4. maurices

maurices Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wonder if the sound is coming from the front drive shafts? As you turn there is pressure on the CV joint (I thing the Pri has them). If you regularly turn the wheel to the bump stops this can cause increased wear are these parts.