1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Highlander Hybrid

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by C56spd, Jan 25, 2012.

1. C56spd

C56spd New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been trying to find out whether the 2013 will be a new design or just a slight update.

I am ready to buy a Highlander Hybrid but really want the Entune. I had heard that this might be avail. for the 2012 in Spring, which I would buy. However, if the 2013 is going to be a major update, I would rather wait for this (~Sept. 12).

Does anyone have any info?

Thanks!!

2. nfschlaack

nfschlaack Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It just had the facelift and other minor upgrades fo the 2011 model year so I doubt they be doing anything for a couple years. Toyota does have the habit of major redesigns every five to six years though. However, I'm betting no big changes for another year anyways.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The current Highlander came out in 2008 MY and has had an update for 2011. It's hard to say since the previous Highlander had a ridiculously long life (7 years) but if they follow the strict 5-year cycle, then yes 2013 will be a redesign. But they can always push it back to 6 years (like they did with the Prius - 1998-2003, 2004-2009)

4. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I guess it depends how successful the new design continues to appeal and sell. The '08 redo sure didn't seem to last as long its previous update.

5. fredlisancnc

fredlisancnc New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    there will be no redisn for the Highlander in model year 2013... full redesign in model year 2014 available sept/oct 2013

6. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Toyota seems to be holding on each generation longer and longer. Take the Pickup for example, Gen 3 had a 5 year run from 79-83, Gen 4 also had a 5 year run from 84 to 88. Gen 5 had 6 year run from 89 to 94 years. Tacoma had a whopping 9 year run from 95 to 03 and went through 1 minor change and then a major change. Current gen Tacoma's been out since 04. That's 9 years already.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There isn't much competition with the Tacoma. The Camry has been following the 5-year cycle quite rigorously.

8. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Given how few they are selling, does anyone know if the hybrid is certain to go another generation if supply and demand remain so low? Only 836 sold this year in January and February combined. Escape has similar numbers and I understand it will no longer offer a hybrid on the next update. Maybe an uptick in gas prices will spur sales or the fact that the RXh has relatively fair sales numbers will mean the Highlander continues as well.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well Ford has a backup plan in the form of the C-Max Hybrid. Given that the Highlander and RX share the same chassis, I don't think it costs Toyota too much (other than a few hybrid extras like the bamboo woodtrim) to make the HiHys. There are only two models so production tooling cost is already slimmed down.

The issue is that the HiHy is a bit pricey. In Canada, it starts near $42k and the Limited is near $50k. Granted the RXh starts at $60k but I see way more RXhs than HiHys. At $50,000 (same as a loaded 4Runner V8 Limited), your market is limited. Those that want a luxury hybrid will look to the RX (plus it offers items not found on the regular RX such as HUD, DRCC and PCS in Canada. Also, it's the only 7-seat hybrid available.

On the other hand, Toyota may just give way to a RAV4 Hybrid. I suspect it will be a huge seller as the RAV4 is a popular choice among cute utes. The question is whether we'll continue to see the LWD RAV4 or revert back to the SWB.

10. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A LWB Rav4 hybrid with a third row would seem like it would cut into the meager Highlander Hybrid sales even more. Are HH even back down to "invoice" pricing yet? You couldn't touch one for much less than MSRP last summer and fall, if you could find one at all after the tsunami.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota's reason for not giving us the 3rd row for the Prius v was that the take on the 7-seat RAV4 was around 5%. I suspect Toyota won't offer a 3rd row for the next gen and instead use that cavity for batteries.

12. formula

formula Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  13. SCOTT SALZMAN

SCOTT SALZMAN New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The 2012 Highlander Hybrid has a huge Navi screen.. Entune is much smaller. I have one car with entune and the Highlander Hybrid that doesn I like the Highlander size better

14. fredlisancnc

fredlisancnc New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2012 Higlander Hybrids have stopped being produced...waiting on 2013's now...