1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Persona possible 12 volt battery issue

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Atvsteve, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Atvsteve

Atvsteve New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Hello all. Need some help. My 2013 persons started doing some weird stuff. I went on an errand and when returning to the car, I hit the start button and nothing. I checked the overhead lights and barley lit, very dim. Checked headlights. Nothing. Sat there for about 5 minutes and then hit button again and had full power, car started. About an hour later stopped again and same thing again. Waited 5 min and full power. I suspected FOB battery and seemed to fix issue. Went home and checked power 5 times and no issues. Came out to car this morning and same no/low power and then full power. Went to work (35 mile ride) and same issue. Low/no power. Had a voltmeter on battery and showed 12.4 volts but at one point went to 11.9 under start up. When running it goes to 14 volts so alternator is charging. 12 volt Battery is original from factory and is 8 years old but seems good unless I am missing anything. Anyone else have similar issues. Thanks in advance.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ayup, that age. Just fugedaboutit and change.

An automotive retailer selling 12 volt batteries will more'n likely have an electron load tester on the premises, and be willing to test it for free, but it's getting on.

GrGramps likes this.
  3. Atvsteve

Atvsteve New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I went to autozone. I had 12 volts idle, and when his meter put it under load , it tanked. Swapped battery and used car all night without issues.

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.