1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius C - Possible transmission leak - urgent pls advice

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by SVB, Jun 25, 2017.

1. SVB

SVB New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hi

I bought a 2013 Prius c (mileage 49k) one week before from a dealer and since it had a clean title and car fax report I went ahead with the deal. After taking the car home,we took to the Toyota service center yesterday and asked for HEALTH CHECK AND INSPECTION
    They gave the below report with some images of the vehicle

----SUB-FRAME DAMAGE ON LH SIDE ------ALSO LOWER CONTROL ARM BEND N BUSHING TORN HEAVY OIL LEAK NEED TRANSMISSION REPLACEMENT HOUSING CRACKED BY IMPACT ON LOWER SIDE TIRES - 1: 175/65R15 FALKEN WORN BAD ON INNER EDGE

But the main concern is Toyota is not replacing the above issue and states that it doesn't cover under warranty as the vehicle might be hit by some road debris and so gave me a huge estimate for 8k.
    I talked to the dealer from where I bought the car and he asked to bring the car and check by his mechanic after the weekend. So I need to wait for a day to check. What is the best case in Scenario pls advice

Will the cost be covered under powertain warranty as the vehicle isn't hit the 60k mileage limit

I couldn't see any leak when taking out the car from garage just FYI

#1 SVB, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If there's evidence of the underside being hit, and that's pretty much a certainty, the warranty won't cover it. Who's the dealer you bought from, also Toyota? It really sounds like someone dumped this vehicle, maybe you can go after them?

Sean Nelson and SVB like this.
  3. SVB

SVB New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    IMG_2377.JPG

Attached Files:

4. SVB

SVB New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  5. SVB

SVB New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for your response but pls could you have a look at the images below and advice

6. SVB

SVB New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The vehicle seems to be in good condition and is stil running according to me but the health inspection report sounds scary and I am not sure if I need to trust the dealer as he might not take the coverage

7. SVB

SVB New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Bump pls could someone advise thank you

8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do you notice any puddling underneath the car? Any dash lights that need to be read? Any driveability issues?

SVB likes this.
  9. SVB

SVB New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No warning signs as well as noise underneath.. we didn't find any issues while driving too .. the health check by Toyota reported the issues mentioned

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What kind of insurance do you have? I guess it wouldn't cover past mishaps though.

Again, who was the seller: private, non-Toyota dealership, Toyota dealership?

I would concentrate on going after them.

SVB likes this.
  11. SVB

SVB New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    He is Toyota dealer but not in large scale ..we bought the car based on car fax and clean title . Of course he had good ratings (5 stars in yelp). We have a good insurance but as you mentioned it won't cover past mishaps

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Have you used this dealer before? Why did you take it to the dealer in the first place? I've had many an occurrence where I have taken our Toyotas to a Toyota Dealer and they have "manufactured" issues.

In looking at the pics you have earlier (the one of a mounting bolt I do not see anything), there might be some dampness on the seal, but it is hard to tell. I see the indentation you point out.

Did the splash guard have any signs of leakage? Does the splash shield have damage? Does the splash shield look newer than other plastic components around it? Does the transmission have oil in it?

SVB likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And is he the same dealer that did the inspection that found this stuff? Either way, something has to give here: you just bought this car and it's basically been sold to you after being in an accident, with undisclosed, unrepaired, serious damage. You've got some good legal arguments I think.

Doe the c have a splash shield? (n)

The transmission fluid yeah: that's a big question, and you don't want to be driving with level low. If it's a slow leak it's "probably" ok.

But I would focus on either annulling the sale, and/or getting the seller to do something, cover the repair. I think you've actually got them over the proverbial barrel, unless they start saying the damage happened post-sale?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. SVB

SVB New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

This is our first Toyota car and we enquired about the dealer in first place through various sources before taking the deal.
    I took the vehicle to Toyota for general inspection(my bad) as we couldn't check it on the day we bought from the dealer(on weekend) . The vehicle seems to be running well acc to me except for the fact I thought it needed some front tire replacement but ended in more serious reports from Toyota .
    There is no leakage signs in splash guard. There is no damage that I could see and there is no plastic components around that .. the transmission also doesn't have oil..

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A transmission will no oil will not run right eventually dash codes will be thrown. How many miles have you logged on it? You've not hit anything since the car has been in your possession?

SVB likes this.
  16. SVB

SVB New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    V just bought the car a week before and drove less than 200 miles in a week time . There is no dash codes.

17. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If less than a week, are you still able to return it? Something doesn't seem right, and I would try to take it back where you bought it, sharing the concerns you have. If they won't take it back, I would escalate your concerns, or get a second opinion.

Good luck(y).

SVB likes this.
  18. SVB

SVB New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for your time and suggestions . Am sure taking it to the dealer from where I bought the car the first thing on Monday and would check with his mechanic. If there is stil damage reported I would prefer to exchange for a car with no damage( after inspection for sure this time). One last thing .. will the dealer be able to place the damages with Toyota and replace the issues without out of pocket or insurance ?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If there's evidence of impact I can't see warranty covering it.

There's an expression I've heard lawyers and consumer protection groups like:

Reasonable expectation.

As in: when you bought this car it was with reasonable expectation that it was in decent shape, would not immediately drop you into a $8000 repair situation. Better call Saul...

Start by contacting the dealership that sold it to you, asap. See how that goes.

If they offer an exchange, make it subject to the outcome of an independent inspection, say by that second dealership.

I'm still not clear: it is two dealerships involved here??

#19 Mendel Leisk, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    SVB likes this.
  20. SVB

SVB New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sure thank you so much for suggesting. I am taking the car first thing Monday morning to the dealer and see what he could do. Thanks again

Mendel Leisk likes this.