1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius Catalytic Converter stolen (SF BAY)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by TomThumb1234, Oct 6, 2022.

1. TomThumb1234

TomThumb1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello,

I had my catalytic converter on my prius 2013 stolen 2 days ago and im in a spot of bother as my car is my sole source of livelihood (I'm an uber driver). It's real tough for me as I live in SF Bay Area. I contacted 1-2 mechanic shops and also went to a local Toyota dealer and I was told there is a backorder. I'm really anxious because I need to get back working.

My insurance adjuster told me it has to be CARB compliant catalytic converter and I really have no clue on where to go. I even thought abt going to Nevada or some place. I can see there are catalytic converter on ebay but they seem pretty cheap (100-200) and I was advised that they cost a fortune (3-4k). I have a deductible of $500 on my insurance.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    In Calif I'm afraid you're really screwed . At least y'all doing y'all part in the clean air act . Man if you ever come east you will be shocked how many fees disappear. Well maybe not so.much now. No they're mounting up out here for the new generation.sorry man . Best advice is find a Corolla . But with Uber it's gotta be newer.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    As far as I know in carb states like California or whatever we're going to call these you can't get a rider you can't get anything you are just fubar and dead in the water be looking another. Because out there your car is illegal to turn it on at this point. Out east here no problem put a straight pipe in and keep driving but where you are you go to jail. Or be heavily fine or God knows what else literally you can be pulled over on the road and CHP officers crawling around under your car no kidding that doesn't happen anywhere else in the world.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Iirc, Cali is making some kind of allowance for the cat back orders.
    Call the authorities

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There’s one approved aftermarket Cat, by Mag Flow IIRC. It’s not cheap either, available but short supply? Would still be worth going through insurance. $200~300 comprehensive deductible is prudent with these thefts going on.

6. TomThumb1234

TomThumb1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
    How would I know which one to get? Can you please share the link for that? Maybe I could forward it to my preferred mechanic shop and he could order it for me.

authorities? like who?

#6 TomThumb1234, Oct 6, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2022
    Tombukt2 likes this.
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah I'd like to know what authorities to The carb board. It takes so long to make anything happen in California I can't imagine that something is recent as catalytic converter thefts on certain makes a cars is going to be happening in the legislature in California but I hope it is I wish you well and luck with that. I just don't see that as being a reality no matter how forward thinking the state may be.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    TomThumb1234 likes this.
  9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes I knew that they had approved the magnaflow or whichever brand they're pimping. But I thought they would maybe get a rider in place for all these people that are in this mess or they would have until their next inspection to do whatever. Especially in the Gestapo land they have up there buddy they just pull you over on the side of the road and next five people show up and jack up your car and start looking under it and messing with it No no thank you. But yes I knew they had passed one or two of these aftermarket cats. Because actually they have no choice any of you that own shops you already know this you can take a 2ZZ Corolla and cut the cat off and put in a straight pipe pull it in your shop and put it on the sniffer and it'll still breathe clean for federal numbers or they'll be so close it's almost not worth discussing except the California I have done this since 19 85 I used to live in Western Mass where we had that I don't know what the spec numbers are for the emissions test and I don't remember it's long time ago but I would cut my cats off gut the cat put it back on so it looks like it's in place and then my car every year would have to go and have a thing rammed up its tailpipe and I had to have certain numbers or my car was no good and couldn't be on the road and wouldn't pass inspection and I had 10 or 15 maybe 20 cars over 20 years with gutted cats running fine with inspection stickers and Western Massachusetts

10. TomThumb1234

TomThumb1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guess i would start with the dmv, or whoever regulates the inspection system

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  13. TomThumb1234

TomThumb1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One

14. Joe W

Joe W Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I took a hit to the coolant heater on a 15, which triggered a leak. Need same part, back ordered. One of the discount dealers tells me there are 497 back orders already. Hard to believe a little dent broke the thing. I cant drive it far or fast and have to keep an eye on overflow tank. I would like to know if safe to simply disconnect coolant lines and block them off or put a short hose between them for continuous flow. Gen3 starting in 16 does not have this feature I guess
    Lready

15. Joe W

Joe W Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey take a look at youtube site for mufflertech in sacramento. My prior reply in error Gen4 started in 16

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Should be fine, just a little longer warming up.

Shops' hands are tied by legislation, and no one wants to "bell the cat" on this one: "disabling pollution controls" should be allowed, when there are no replacement parts available.

To avoid scofflaws, there could be a process: the motor vehicle people could have a database of what parts are not currently available, to allow owners to do temporary work-arounds, till such time as parts do become available.

17. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You mean the government would actually help citizens in their state? Too good to be true.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. TomThumb1234

TomThumb1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Bit of a bizarre question but I met a guy at an auto repair shop in SF who advised me to get an "aftermarket" converter and use it until the repairshop manages to get a new one (which could be 2-3 months). Apparently, it can be purchased for $100-200. Can someone plz share some insights?

Upon this revelation, I called the repairshop where my vehicle has been towed to and I was advised to take my car to a welder who could weld the place/spot where my converter was located in my car..that way i could just drive it until new one came on... is there any issue with it? will my car function properly?

19. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

#19 prius16, Oct 11, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
    CR94 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. Mendel Leisk