1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius rear ended-how to proceed?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by BillyOsler, Jul 12, 2015.

1. BillyOsler

BillyOsler New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was rear-ended on the CA interstates today by a large SUV, going at about 40mph. Thankfully no one was hurt, and I was able to drive the car home. CHP came by but refused to file a report as no one was hurt and insurance info was already exchanged. The damage is significant, mostly on the bumper ( side body was crumpled slightly; hatch and rear doors are untouched)
    The other party admitted fault right away, and started a claim process with their insurance (a major reputable insurer). I have been informed by the the claim adjuster to bring in the Prius to their appointed body shop.

For the record the Prius already has 58K miles, but is otherwise in great shape. KBB lists value between $11K and $13K.

Before I take it to their shop, I have a few concerns:
    -How much should I worry about structural integrity after repair? Should I take it to a Toyota dealer body shop first to get an independent assessment? I'm concerned the appointed body shop may collude with the the insurance co.

-What is the best/easiest way to go about claiming Diminished Value in CA? I'm not banking on a big payout and I want to get this behind me quickly. Should I seek legal counsel first? Is my best hope that it's declared a total loss (a brief internet search showed repair quotes from $9-13K)?

Thanks so much for your input!

IMG_0309.JPG IMG_0311.JPG

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! sorry about your collision, glad you're okay. i don't know cali ins. laws, but i would think that you will have a choice of body shoppes to go to.let them begin an evaluation, and ask the insurance company the same questions. (except the collusion) all the best!(y)

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't know CA Insurance Laws either, but if they insist on you only going to their chosen repair facility, inform your insurance company that you would rather one of your choice and see what they say. When this situation happens In TX, your insurance company can handle the claim and let you choose a repair shop, then file "subrogation" against the other insurance company to pay it back...both sides all the while knowing it's happening. The only down side is you pay the deductible initially, and it takes a while to be reimbursed. Again...Call your insurance company during business hours Monday and confirm your rights in CA as it applies.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same exact way here, as well.

5. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Here's a summary of the California insurance laws relating to collision damage repair:

Auto Body Repairs and Replacement Parts

"(1) You have the right to choose where you take your car for automobile repairs.
    "(2) If an insurance company recommends a particular automobile body shop you have the option to either take it there or take it to another automobile body repair shop of your choice."

As the high voltage battery isn't far from the rear of the vehicle, I'd be more comfortable having a shop familiar with the Prius working on it.

frodoz737 likes this.
  6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Definitely one owned by and/or part of a Toyota Dealerships Group. Parts likely on shelf and with experienced Toyota Body Techs, Mechanics and Electricians. No farming out work that way.

ftl likes this.
  7. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah don't understand why you have to go to bodyshop dictated by other party's insurer.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you choose to go with the body shop designated by the insurance company, the process will be much faster. I was quite happy when I got my car repaired by the shop chosen by "Progressive Insurance". I just had to request all parts to be OEM replacements, they take care of the rest. You get a rental car when you drop off the car and when your car is repaired, you drop off your rental at the same place you pick up your fixed car. I thought it was a very good experience and the work seems quite good.

You can also go with a body shop of your choice (if you know of a reputable shop), but if you don't know of a reputable shop, then going with who the insurance suggests wouldn't be a bad idea.

The shops the insurance suggests to you often will do work at less than market price. They get more work from the insurance companies and the insurance companies pay less for repairs.....win win situation for them

10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Hmm, well, in Alberta Canada with "Intact", MY insurance company, they handled the repair, and they handled transferring the cost to the insurance co. of the person who hit me. I was told of several body shops they frequently delt with, and was told I could also choose any one I liked. There are possible downsides to using a bodyshop the insurance company recommends, but there are also upsides. In my case I chose a nearby one they used, and the "paperwork" was all done in a minute online. I dropped the car off, declined the rental, walked home, and two days later, walked back in and picked up Pearl S, "good as new". I suspect the other persons insurance company asked no questions because they realized how cheaply they were getting off! There was also no police report in my case (under $2500 damage). In fact, it was so "seamless" I was left waiting for the other "shoe to fall". When I asked I was told the case was finished unless I was not satisfied.

BTW, at least in Alberta, and I suspect elsewhere as well, any rear-ender is the other persons fault totally. Your rates don't go up, you are not charged (unless perhaps there was a witness who swears you pulled out in front of the other person (cut them off), and the police agree.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not think it is likely that your car will be totaled. My guess is that the repair cost will be ~$5K given the hatch and doors are good. Structural integrity should not be a major concern since all that is required is to replace the rear bumper, repair the left rear fender, repair or replace the right rear fender and replace the right taillight assembly.

If the hatch does not freely open because it had been smashed in, then you would have some reason to be concerned about making sure the hatch floor was properly repaired.

I doubt that you will obtain a settlement regarding diminished value but you can try.

I would be more concerned about whether you have suffered soft tissue damage from the rear impact. Let a few days elapse before deciding whether your neck and back are OK, or not. If damage has occurred in those areas, it may be very difficult and time consuming to heal.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh! my back!:eek:

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    At least get an estimate from the Toyota dealer's collision center. I've had good experiences with them and arranged for a Prius rental through the dealer. There is a "retail" price and an "insurance company" price. They will most likely accept the insurance company's payment.

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I hate how the cash paying people get screwed. Same with health care, insurance people pay less

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe 20~25 years back, after a fender bender, I took it to our nearby Honda dealership. They immediately redirected me to this independent shop that handled all their bodywork repairs. They did a decent job, and improved over the years. Now we don't even deal with ICBC (pretty much THE insurer, mandatory for basic liability in BC, and the majority insurer for most comprehensive/collision): the shop handles all the paperwork, get's the authorization. They're walking distance from us, always get us in a loaner, we're on first name basis, they've kept improving over the years, so we just kept using them.

16. BillyOsler

BillyOsler New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update:
    At-fault party's insurance called it a total loss after some deliberation. Estimated repair is about $11K.
    They offered a good settlement, and we accepted immediately. As much as we'd miss our Prius, we're happy not to have to deal with a car with structural repair and going after the diminished value in small claims.

We're now proud owners of a 2015 Camry Hybrid (a pretty good deal at about $23K). It's noticeably quieter and faster, the two areas that I wish the Gen 3 Prius could improve on.

ftl and Patrick Wong like this.
  17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, that is an amazing repair price given the photos you posted. The good news is that now there is another used 3G traction battery with low miles, that will become available for sale. :cool:

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great outcome, congrats!(y)

19. zzrguy

zzrguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. contact your insurance company.
    2. Take it to your body shop first to get a estimate.
    3. Contact a lawyer cause if they total your car your are out more then 11 or 13k the insurance companies will pay off your loan and wave by by to you smiling. I'm in NY when a S40 was totalled they pay off my loan I sued and got about 12k to replace it with.
    4. And don't cash any check they send you till you car is fixed or replaced cashing the check is considered excepting a settlement and the end of the claim. They tried to give me 3k after they paid off my S40 loan. I questioned them about the money I now need to buy a new car and they said they get back to my two days later 3k check showed up in the mail my S40 was 2 years old and I paid almost 15k already and had 2 more years on the loan. They tried to walk away leavingme a lost o 15k my lawyer mail them a intent to sue letter (500 buck) and they cut me a check about 12k to put down on my new car.

20. BillyOsler

BillyOsler New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well we have full equity in the Prius.
    They offered $17.6K+taxes and reg, the KBB value is $12-13K. We bought it in 2014 as a Hertz rental for $17K with 45K miles