1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius Suspension upgrade questions?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by hsk, Sep 8, 2013.

1. hsk

hsk New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just joined PC forum to get a head start on my upcoming 2013/2014 Prius purchase. I'll be coming from a 2008 Lexus IS 350 and I don't expect the Prius handle or accelerate like the IS. However, I have always driven import compacts that have handled well and would like my future Prius to handle well with a very tight and precise suspension and steering. That being said I will be looking to do suspension upgrades in order to increase the rigidity of the chassis and handling capability of the Prius. So far from what I have read here, are these the upgrades that will help the most for handling?

1. TRD/PPP rear sway bar
    2. Cusco/Tanabe front strut tower bar
    3. Rude person's/Cusco mid under brace
    4. Rude person's/Tanabe front under brace
    5. Cusco/Tanabe front sway bar

Also considering the following:
    1. Cusco lower arm bar
    2. Cusco front chassis brace
    3. Cusco rear chassis brace

Does anyone know if Rude person's is still making the the 4 point mid brace and 2 point front brace? I would prefer these if possible.

During my reading on PC, I saw that the 2012+ models have a redesigned 4 point mid under brace piece (hollow tube design vs previous flat hourglass design). Since I am purchasing a newer Prius with the redesigned mid under brace, will I see a noticeable improvement by upgrading to the Rude person's/Cusco mid under brace?

I will be keeping the stock 15 inch rims in order to maximize MPG, ride comfort and also to maintain the stock look. Lowering springs will be the very last option and only if I feel that the above upgrades are not enough. Even then I would pick the springs that drop the ride height as minimally as possible. The Tanabe Sustec NF210's seem to be the springs that lower the ride height the least followed by the TRD/Eibach springs. If anyone has the Tanabe Sustec NF210's can you please comment as to whether the ride is too bouncy?

That's about it. My main objective is to improve the stability of the vehicle, steering response, feedback, handling, and chassis stiffness. Cosmetically, I want the vehicle to look as stock as possible. Any help, suggestions, and sharing of experience with these mods would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. hsk

hsk New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bump....anyone?

3. Skunkworks

Skunkworks Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it we're me, I would do a rear sway bar, and TRD springs, then cusco braces front center and rear. The car will be like its on rails. I'm not a fan of C/O on the prius.