1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 prius THREE VSC traction and brake ABS lights on.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by skeeper10, Sep 25, 2015.

1. skeeper10

skeeper10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Greetings,

I have a complex problem worthy of car talk ;) but I am sure there are some simple answers. The Prius had been in an accident with front fender and bumper and control arm replaced it hit an object under and bent control arm.

After the repair there was no light. The vehicle drove fine.

There was a very slight pull, so took it to a shop and had alignment done and traction control light came on. Could not be reset after multiple battery disconnects.

Then took it to dealer for 20K maintenance which is a joke. The night before I finished up a little of my sound proofing project and sprayed undercoating in the front wheel well. Dealer rotated tires and checked fluid level (NOT!). and when I went to take my car back, new lights were on ( brake abs and vsc) in addition to traction control. Brake fluid was very low, they topped it off. They claimed innocence and They tried to clear but could not. They mentioned that the car was repaired and also was out of warranty. They will recheck it later but will cost more.

In the meantime, I had my mechanic lift it up and check for the usual lines wires, and sensor. They all “look” physically ok. But one of the wheels (hit on wheel as well) seem a little warped as we rotated the tires. Now that is replaced and new tires in the front + new wheel .

Now the question is

1) on a prius III will the Paper Clip method on the OBD2 connector to reset the brake lights work?

2) I need to check if the undercoating spray while it was wet shorted anything. especially at the connectors. Is there a multimeter way to check if the sensor is ok?

3)What else should I check before I take it back to the Lion's den at the dealership?

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pins 4 and 13 will clear a logged, but not latched fault. When the Dealership checked and could not clear the fault they should have recorded the code/s...so charging you for a re-read should be contestable on your return visit for diagnosis.

3. skeeper10

skeeper10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Pin 4 an 13 reset did not clear the lights. I remember one of the codes that toyota found was a communication failure to a computer.. So the question is - is there an ecu that is dedicated to brake abs and traction ? maybe that is faulty? are there fuses that are in line for those?
    I cant imagine how a control unit could die. I am suspecting a connector loose somewhere as well.

4. skeeper10

skeeper10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Took it to the dealer today. Luckily they ran a pretty comprehensive test. Initial Codes at the beginning were P1578 C1203 C 1336 C1345 B 1412 . They checked speed sensors, connections etc which checked out fine.. and voltage readings. They cleared every code and two came back during test drive. The DTC lights remaining are C1256 and B1412 at the end of the day. According to the dealership the suspect the master cylinder is shot due to Gforce during impact and likely there is a bleed inside (which may explain the brake fluid low ?)
    They performed Linear and zero down and measured ohms.. performed actuation test on ECB solenoid - no click heard while activating solinoid (what does this mean). Recommend Booster and Master cylinder with brake fluid air bleed and recheck. Recommended brake booster and master cylinder unit replacement. Now the big question is replacing with an used master - any links on a gen 3 ? what to watch out for?