1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2013 Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon) cruise control unexpected acceleration

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by TJSchmid, Oct 26, 2016.

1. TJSchmid

TJSchmid New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    First let me say, I live in a city and don't get to use my cruise control daily but do use it when traveling down the highway. My vehicle has about 25,000 miles on it.
    Twice this week, while driving down the highway with the cruise control set to approximately 70mph, the car accelerated in excess of the set speed. First time I found myself going 87 mph and hit the brakes. reset the cruise all seemed fine. 3 days later I was in cruise control again, going up a hill, the engine geared down as expected, but seemed to be accelerating beyond the setting. I did manage to look at the dash before hitting the brakes to see that the setting appeared to be 110 mph. Once again, brakes kicked off the cruise and I reset it and there was no problems for the remainder of the drive. Both situations happened on an up hill grade and while the cruise had been working fine till that point. The floor mat is not the issue, and no unintentional adjustments were made by the driver.
    I called the dealership this morning and explained what had occurred and they knew of no problem. I am engineer and pretty methodical about my observations. I do realize that unless you can repeat something it is hard to diagnose. Hoping someone else out there has had a similar experience.

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As an engineer, I find it hard to believe you didn't notice the difference between cruising at 70 and 87 or 110 mph uphill. If I understand that to be what you wrote.

3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The only problem I've had with DRCC is when it detects what it thinks is a vehicle in front and the closing speed is too fast; it then starts braking and beeping. I've had this occur on a stretch of highway with an uphill right hand curve that has a road sign for the opposite lanes. The sign reflected the radar signal and the car did its thing.

Is it possible that you were following traffic at 70 and the traffic moved out of your way? If that's the case, it is possible that the CC was set to a higher speed than you realized. If it happens again, rather than braking; use the CC control to reduce speed and note the setting as you slow down. It might tell you that the speed setting was higher than you'd thought.

4. TJSchmid

TJSchmid New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Good point. However, there was no other vehicles around me at the time and I was on a 6 lane highway. And since I was on cruise control setting at approximately 70 mph, I had no reason to believe it would be above the setting. As for the 110 mph, I doubt that this car could even go that fast much less on an uphill. I stated, "the setting appeared to be 110 mph" and not that my speed had increased to it.

5. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My mistake, I thought you'd reached those speeds.

There have been threads regarding the clock spring cable failing and causing issues with controls on the steering wheel. I wonder if that could cause the CC to change speed settings.

6. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Try using the CC in standard mode (as opposed to DRCC mode) and see if it behaves.

7. TJSchmid

TJSchmid New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Since this is a new issue, I'm just exploring possible solutions. I have only used the DRCC mode and will try the Std CC mode to see if that changes anything. Trying to make this repeatable or resolving the issue with any confidence will be the issue. I could not say with any confidence that the DR may have played a role in either case. First time was a surprise and the second time was not expected either. Now, I am at least cognitive of the issue. thanks

8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Still, 87 mph in the Prius v is quite noticeably brisker than ~70 mph.

To where was your attention directed if not to an instrument panel scan?

9. TJSchmid

TJSchmid New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Air Boss, not sure what your point is yet but I'm sure you get there. I may have had it set at 75 mph. I believe the actual speed is irrelevant. The important part is that the vehicle was accelerating significantly beyond the CC set speed. I also, can't tell you what my actual vehicle speed was the second time this occurred. Hopefully, I can repeat problem and pay closer attention the next time to all of the details.

10. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My point is that anyone paying attention in the slightest wouldn't have been surprised by 87 or more when commanding 70 or 75. Sorry, but that's a serious bust.

11. TJSchmid

TJSchmid New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    And there you have it. I don't necessarily disagree with you but I have been in many situations where the driver was going much faster than he or she realized. I will assume at this point you have no solutions or suggestions to help resolve the problem and will no longer need to comment on this subject. Thank you for your help.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! does your cruise control have a mph setting? i'm not familiar with that. do you have drcc? i don't see it in your o/p.

13. TJSchmid

TJSchmid New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The CC allows you to set the speed at whatever you desire, like any other CC does. If you review the prior threads, you will see that I have been using the DRCC. I have not tried the "std CC" setting yet as suggested by others. Hope I understood your questions.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my cc doesn't set a speed, it just locks the speed you're going when you set it.

what prior threads? you just joined today, and this is the only thread you've posted in.

15. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Not exactly. "Driver error" and "pay attention" would be my final comments on this matter..

16. TJSchmid

TJSchmid New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, you are correct, my CC is the same, just locks the speed and you can raise and lower incrementally from there. I was referring to the prior responses/reply as threads, apparently incorrect. Just didn't know if you had read them as well.

I am starting to understand why you choose the name you did. A more appropriate name might be Air_Bag. I can only hope to not hear from you.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so, i don't understand. if you weren't actually traveling at 110 mph, what did you mean by 'the setting appeared to be 110 mph'?

18. TJSchmid

TJSchmid New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    When you set/lock the CC, the speed appears on the instrument panel. In this case, when the car began to accelerate beyond the CC set/locked speed, I happen to look and see what appeared to be 110 for the CC setting, prior to hitting the brakes and disengaging the CC. In both occurrences, the CC had been operating for 20+minutes and were in situations where the car was climbing a hill. After, disengaging the CC in both cases, I went on to reset the CC and continued to my destination without any issues.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    okay, gotcha. i don't have that feature. sounds like a software glitch, but maybe it's something as simple as a bad cc stalk.
    the only thing i remember that resembles it is when steve wozniak complained the he kept bumping up the cc stalk trying to get the prius to go faster. but it took so long, and he bumped it so many times, he ultimately thought he was experiencing unintended acceleration.

20. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Here's a guess...

The cruise stalk is stuck and keeps nudging the acceleration function.

Inspect for dust, dirt, damage. Maybe need replacement.

Good hunting.